PDA

View Full Version : Help me get a diagnosis for my Cj5

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

G-Ride
10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Okay, this is my first post here, so Hi to all. I have a problem. I have a 79 CJ5 304 W/ a 3 speed tranny(M). I am having problem with the way she runs lately. 1. just let me say that she starts just fine every time
2. she idles a little rough sometimes but not all the time
3. When I start to drive down the street, it feels like something is pulling against me, like she bogging down.
4.When it starts this bogging down thing, it reaks of gas fumes out of her ass.
5.This is what I have replaced as of yet:
Plugs,wires,cap and rotor, fuel filter, and starter.

I am starting to think that the timing might be off, but I've never really had any experience with the sort. what do you all think? Could it be something wrong with my carb (edelbrock 4 bl)?

thanks for the help, as your advice will probably guide my next line of action.

KEV
10-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Check the float level and idel mixture screws. Are you using an electric fuelpump? Is the return fuel line still hooked up?

J4GRAND
10-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Is the exhaust smeeling of gas fumes or just a smell from under the hood? If it's the exhaust, it could be your choke is sticking closed. Lube all the choke linkage and make sure it's disengaging once the engine is warm.

tufcj
10-05-2005, 09:41 AM
What brand of carb?

I had a problem with the electric choke on a Holley. The bi-metal spring broke. At high vacuum, like idling or steady cruise, the vacuum held it open, but when the vacuum dropped, like pulling or accelerating, the choke plate would fall closed. Took me a while to figure it out.

Bob
tufcj.

G-Ride
10-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Kev was right. I took the jeep to a friend who is a carb expert and he thinks that it is the float bowls too. I got it getting fixed as i speak and will let you know how it went. Thanks for the input.
:mrgreen:

G-Ride
10-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Okay the Carb guy I took my Jeep to screwed me and got nothing done. He told me that he wanted to charge me between 300 and 400 dollars to rebuild my Holley 600 cfm. Needless to say I got my Jeep back and no work has been done to it in three weeks. :smile:

I do have a question, I have been reading around a bit and many people seem to think that a 600 cfm is too big for a 304. Question is can I just take the Holley 80457-3 600cfm off and bolt right on a edelbrock 1403 preformer 500 cfm, or do I have to do any thing special??

G-Ride
10-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Okay the Carb guy I took my Jeep to screwed me and got nothing done. He told me that he wanted to charge me between 300 and 400 dollars to rebuild my Holley 600 cfm. Needless to say I got my Jeep back and no work has been done to it in three weeks. :smile:

I do have a question, I have been reading around a bit and many people seem to think that a 600 cfm is too big for a 304. Question is can I just take the Holley 80457-3 600cfm off and bolt right on a edelbrock 1403 preformer 500 cfm, or do I have to do any thing special??

KEV
10-25-2005, 12:49 PM
If they are both a square bore flange it should go right on. Do you have the Performer or do you have to buy it? I am not a Holly fan but before you get rid of it check the power valve. I belive that it is under a cover held on by 4 screws between the front float bowl and the base of the carb. You shouldn't be able to blow threw it. Any good parts store should be able to help you and I don't think that a 600 cfm is to big for a 304 as long as it's tuned and jetted for it. Personaly I like the motorcraft 2V tha it came with, It's easy to tune, cheap to rebuild and it works great off road. You will loose some topend performance, but you don't dragrace everyday now do you. :t:

jeepsr4ever
10-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Your 600cfm carb probly has the wrong size jets and is flooding the engine and to compensate you may have moved the timing to where it just idles at a bog. I would try a different carb and then I would change the timing chain.

youdidwhat
10-28-2005, 07:36 AM
(Jeeps4ever)Why the timing chain? Slipped a tooth? out of time? or because of the work done? I'm not disagreeing just learning

( G_Ride )I agree the jet size it too large, the holley 600 is a strong carb, though you may have some stalling at hard angles off road.
Change the jets, and rebuild your carb, you should be fine with just that.
the rebuild kit will come with new floats and a little ruler thing for setting the float.

Personally I would not have put a Carb that size on a stock 304 but if you have cammed it up or upgeaded the heads, that would justify the large carb.

jet size can make or break a rig and you local parts store/ buddy at a shop can help you get the right size.

One other Question,,, Did you check your fuel air mix?

sometimes when folks do not know what is up they will buy a big old carb and just mount it not checking the little things like fuel air mix.

take the fuel air mix to closed position and then take it out/open 1/4 to 1/2 a turn at a time. your 600 should have two adjusters on it, just behind the fuel bowl on each side.

a half a turn should be enough to get it to run.

then you adjust it to your preferances.

Last time I had to do this was on a one barrel in a ford and I must have drivin ten miles to get it right where I got the most power with the least waste. but I digress

drive your rig around with your trusty flathead screwdriver next to you and make adjustments for your needs/ wants.

Hope this helps.

Ohh and welcome to the websight, these guys are right on when it comes to knolwedge

Bulltear Ad