PDA

View Full Version : The noise is driving me NUTS!!! Need new mufflers, ??

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

shawn
10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Yup, I can't take it anymore. I am running some really cheap turbo mufflers, but the resonance through the floor is KILLER! It doesn't help that I don't have tail pipes, just some "dumps" but after last weekend driving for many hours on the freeway with either ear plugs or my flightline gear something has got to change.

I need some fully welded mufflers for this 304. And I want it quiet, not only comming out the exhaust but the resonance needs to be minimal. and then I'll be putting on some tail pipes. I don't think I can afford Flowmasters SUV 50 Series, what else is out there?

pyagid
10-26-2005, 06:34 AM
Tailpipes will be the biggest difference. But also the thickness of the muffler pipes. My CJ with a 360 I had a good quality exhaust pipe back to 2 turbo mufflers then 2 tailpipes out the back it was nice and quiet in the jeep. People always told how loud it was while driving behind me though.

-Paul

BREK
10-27-2005, 09:11 AM
The hooker aero chambers I have on my amx seem to be fairly quiet at low rpm but it gets pretty loud when I stand on it :mrgreen:

eight
11-21-2005, 10:37 PM
muffler from a 94-97 powerstroke works good. Nice and small, 3.5" straight through, heavy, stainless, and very quiet.

jeepsr4ever
11-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Magnaflow makes a decent stainless steel tube style muffler. I think we are adding them to our store soon if you decide to go that route

tufcj
11-22-2005, 08:35 AM
I've got Magnaflow welded mufflers on both my Jeep (single 3") and on my AMX (2 x 2.5" w/x-pipe). Both have a nice throaty sound out the back without much resonance in the passenger area.

Bob
tufcj

Holeshot
12-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Here's another one to consider:

replacement sidepipe mufflers

I put a pair on my 71 AMX after shredding 1 NEW set of Hooker "Turbo" mufflers & a NEW set of Walker mufflers. All I had to do to shred one was put the pedal on the floor.

The sidepipe mufflers were 4" in diameter, 3/32" or 1/8" wall thickness, & you had a choice of two lengths. They were under $100 back then. I used header adapters to connect to the collectors & had the muffler shop make adapters to attach to my 2.5" tailpipes & an "H" pipe connecting the 2 pipes just aft of the collectors.

Meanest sounding machine around, but quiet inside, & never got a ticket. The guy at the gas station said he could tell when it was me coming because he could feel the ground rumbling!!!

pyagid
12-12-2005, 09:34 AM
i have driven jeeps with sidepipe mufflers before, and I could say it was far from quiet while driving. If it is in a car, maybe, but doubtful in a jeep

-Paul

Holeshot
12-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Running the mufflers & tailpipes under the car & exiting at the bumper puts the noise behind you.

On another note, I have found the buyer of the bw cam AMX. Waiting for a return email on what he found with that 390 & cam.

Bulltear Ad