PDA

View Full Version : Engine Compression with a TBI (Howell) setup

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rmorit01
10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm going to have a local shop do a rebuild on my AMC 360. For a full size 1981 Jeep Cherokee. I currently have the DUI HEI distributor and a Howell TBI on the current truck.

I use the truck for a daily driver, about 20% wheeling, 20% long highway trips and the other 60% is around town and to work and back.

My plan was to go with a edelbrock intake manifold with the TBI setup along with the summit cam K8600 that is so highly recommended.

I was wondering if it would be wise to increase compression from the stock 8.25 to 9.0 or 9.25 with this setup?

Should compression stay stock or can I bump it and still use 87 regular?

What other items should I specifically spec. out for the shop doing the re-build?

Thanks -- Bob

jeepsr4ever
10-31-2005, 08:26 AM
Well an increase in compression means you either changed the heads to a smaller cc or you are using a whole different piston (which in either case is very expensive) It is hard to tailor a AMC V8 to the compression you want because the piston choices just simply arent out there. A cam and intake are the real power additions from the ground up so your on the right track. Take heed and make sure you start off with good oiling in forms of smaller oil feed hole cam bearings and/or good timing cover. Alot of little things come into play so do some searches in the engines section here and check out others builds, I am sure you will find one close to what you are doing or want to do.

rmorit01
10-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks -- lots of info on other 360 and lots of 401 information. I'm still looking for someone who has a TBI setup that has done a build up, couldn't find one with a search.

Looks like the oiling issue is something to read up on too.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

SwampRat
11-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Keep a good quench and your 9.25:1 static compression ratio shouldn't be a problem for regular fuel, in theory your electronic engine management should "help out" in this area.

casey
11-05-2005, 11:21 PM
I thought the Howell kit requires a manifold with a Holley pattern.

I have not been able to find the Howell kit for a 360 for less than $1100+ shipping. I'm going to try a couple of things with my Holley 2bbl before I give up the big bucks for injection.

401ton
11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
I built my 401 to the approximate 9.25-9.5 compression years back and then bought a Howell TBI for it.

Howell only asked for the cam specs if I remember correctly.

Engine has ran great ever since. Best money spent on whole project!

Bulltear Ad