PDA

View Full Version : I call'em Jeep EJ's

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mick
11-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Powered by AMC, built by AMC. And yes they came from the factory with a transfer-case.

My first staight axled EJ
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/erock10small.jpg

My daily driver doing Moab's Dump Bump. Climbed it twice, 4 trys the first time, and 2 trys the second time. I don't think too many cars (or Jeeps for that matter) can say they conquered this obstacle with 26" tires.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/dumpbump.jpg

Hells Revenge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/MoabLaborDay2004012sm.jpg

After you get up Tip Over Challenge there's an optional wall. Took about 5 trys on this one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/b3bc33df.jpg

Golden Crack (Tan EJ with 29" Swampers)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/goldencracksmall.jpg

Tan EJ now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/61cdff99.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/3404c38f.jpg

Let the Jeep purist hate mail begin.

jeepsr4ever
11-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey good to see you on the forum. I actually took a snap of your EJ at EJS in Moab this spring

mick
11-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks for welcoming me to the site. The problem with the EJ's, is people either love'm or hate'em. And for the life of me I can't understand why they catch so much crap the Jeep crowd.

pyagid
11-24-2005, 07:49 AM
welcome to bulltear. You dont see those vehicles around to often anymore. I could say i am one of the people that likes them.

Rollen where are you, when are we going to get pictures of yours like this

-Paul

Goose
11-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Sweet.. I had one of the early ones with the 4 banger..great traction pathetic power..but a challange..

What part of wyoming?? I am based out of scottsbluff but run all over wyo, Colony , Lovell,..

mick
11-25-2005, 03:42 PM
I live in Casper. If you make it out this way we have a fun ORV park here.

The good thing about the 4-bangers is they are the Eagles to have 3.55:1 gears. All the other generally have the pathetic 2.73:1's....Yuck! Swap those axles under a 6cyl car and you've got something.

Goose
11-26-2005, 02:13 AM
Dude I will be in Casper Monday morning, I have about 7,500 ' of 2 7/8" drill pipe on for intermountain.. (about 49000 lbs.) then I'm off to Lovell for a load going to Georgia, Alabama and points south.. Wave if you see a Green Peterbilt Flatbed says "Ameri-Co" on the door.. Or holler on the Radio (CB) I go by Goose there also..

mick
11-27-2005, 01:38 PM
If I see ya I'll wave, although I'll probably have my hands deep into some sort of Caterpillar machine when you come rolling through.

Lifted79CJ7
11-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Great looking rigs Mick! So what are the specs on those bad boys?

Blown7
11-27-2005, 08:22 PM
This is mine I bought new in 1984 and the new Indy engine is going in next year. It has 144K miles and still runs well, but a BIG V-8 is in the cards (gonna have a blower stickin' thru the hood) For now it's just gathering dust in the garage, been there goin on 5 years now.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Blown7/Sep1321.jpg

Jeff

Lifted79CJ7
11-27-2005, 09:26 PM
:!: That's AWESOME!! Ha ha ha!!! I can't wait to see this project come together! MC - you really need to manufacture the V* swap plates for these kids!!

Trailbst
11-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey, nice pics.

I don't like or dislike the Eagles.

Why do they catch so much crap, well, they are Eagles, not Jeeps, hence no designator. Sorry!

It would be like giving a Chrysler or Renault a Jeep designator. Whether or not the parent company is the same, the builder is different.

Cool rig though! Glad to see you are wheeling it.

Erik

Blown7
11-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Actually Lifted it takes alot of design for the swap, big time engine mount engineering because the front axle is bolted to the engine. Jeff

Lifted79CJ7
11-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah, someone on here (I thought it might have been you Jeff) had one already built for MC to borrow to take dimensions for remanufature.... I'm sure an easy SEARCH (http://www.bulltear.com/forums/search.php) would come up with the thread. Was just rehashing an old idea! :-|

mick
11-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Great looking rigs Mick! So what are the specs on those bad boys?

The big ones are running DANA HP44's in the front and Ford 9" in the rear with 4.10's, 34" Swamper LTB's, and Lock Right's. The t-cases are Grand Wagoneer NP229's.

The big tan one has a mono-link rear suspension with XJ coils front coils all the way around.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/1a3e839e.jpg

The black one which is my daily driver, has 26" BFG Long Trails, a NP229 t-case, and Lock Right's. I had to machine the locker and shafts in order to fit the 95+ DANA 35-c locker into a DANA 30 case. It's probably the only Eagle on the planet with a locker in the factory front diff.

I drove this car to Moab, 550 miles one way, ran level 4 trails (no bypasses), drove up Dump Bump twice, and drove it home.

The tan one, back when it had the 29" Swampers, ran all of the Poison Spider Mesa/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim trail.

mick
11-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey, nice pics.

I don't like or dislike the Eagles.

Why do they catch so much crap, well, they are Eagles, not Jeeps, hence no designator. Sorry!

It would be like giving a Chrysler or Renault a Jeep designator. Whether or not the parent company is the same, the builder is different.

Cool rig though! Glad to see you are wheeling it.

Erik

Glad you like the pics.

Here's my arguement

A 2wd Jeep has no right to even be called a Jeep, but they still call it a Jeep. Even though it's more of a Renault. The Eagle is more Jeep than any 2wd Jeep.

Trailbst
11-29-2005, 01:04 PM
I'll argue that. Some 2-wheel drive Jeep still came with a Dana 44 and 3.73s. The Eagles didn't! Some came with Dana 70s. Some 2wd Jeeps are racing Baja, show me a pic of an Eagle doing that! Tell me of a 2wd Jeep that you know of that isn't worth of its name.

My point was, they were made by Eagle, not Jeep, hence NO DESIGNATOR or Jeep name. Yes, they can be built and wheeled, but so can a lot of other vehicles, and they may wheel better than a Jeep, and might deserve the name also, but they are NOT Jeeps.

I say take pride in having an Eagle that can do those trails. Not try and make it something that it is not. Uniqueness, now that is cool. There are a lot of us schmucks out here who have Jeeps, not a lot of people put as much time, effort, and love into a vehicle, as you obviously have.

Erik

Trailbst
11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
I had to machine the locker and shafts in order to fit the 95+ DANA 35-c locker into a DANA 30 case. It's probably the only Eagle on the planet with a locker in the factory front diff.

Did I miss something, or just not know enough about Eagles. Will a Dana 30 locker not fit in a Dana 30 case?

mick
11-29-2005, 05:53 PM
I hope your taking this as lightly as I am.

The DANA 30 in these cars uses c-clips to retain the axles in the housing. Nobody makes a DANA 30 locker with c-clip provisions. The 95+ DANA 35 locker fit in the carrier, and had the c-clip provisions.

------------------------

The Eagle was not made by Eagle, it was made by the same folks, who at the time built Jeep.....AMC. Jeep has never built Jeep, it has been shuffled from one manufacturer to another since the beginning of time.

Jeep also used the DANA 25 which we all know is the benchmark of durability.

Trailbst
11-29-2005, 07:00 PM
I hope your taking this as lightly as I am.

The DANA 30 in these cars uses c-clips to retain the axles in the housing. Nobody makes a DANA 30 locker with c-clip provisions. The 95+ DANA 35 locker fit in the carrier, and had the c-clip provisions.

------------------------

The Eagle was not made by Eagle, it was made by the same folks, who at the time built Jeep.....AMC. Jeep has never built Jeep, it has been shuffled from one manufacturer to another since the beginning of time.

Jeep also used the DANA 25 which we all know is the benchmark of durability.

Well, Yes, Eagle was made by AMC, and is trademarked, just like Jeep. So we are back to parent company. Ford = Mozda, Jaguar, Lincoln, Mercury....... GM = Chevy, GMC, Buick, Cadillac.......

Who else made Jeep, how many can you name?

As for the Dana 25, did you know you could get it in a full-floating version? When did they stop using it? Was it only a front axle?

I mean if we are going to knock Jeep parts and their choices...according to you, the Eagle is a Jeep, and I would consider that a poor manufacturing choice. #-o :?

Yeah, I'm taking it lightly. I'm a Jeep freak by choice. I think you should embrace being an Eagle Freak.

Erik

Blown7
11-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Well I gotta say that some of parts are the same in a Eagle or Jeep of that vintage, the 258 6 cyl comes to mind, radios, upolstery, and engineering as in the 2 peice vacuum disengage front axle. When I ordered my Eagle in 1984 it was from a AMC/Jeep/Eagle dealer and I could have just as well ordered a CJ or Grand Waggy or Cherokee at the same desk. I think all AMC products have some great features that were carried thru the whole model lines, and conversly some bad ideas. And I'll tell you my Eagle has been off road and I really never had a bit of problem with it as I had with all the CJ's, Waggys, small Cherokees I ever owned. BTW how come I can bolt a 401 right into my Eagle? Jeff

Trailbst
11-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Well I gotta say that some of parts are the same in a Eagle or Jeep of that vintage, the 258 6 cyl comes to mind, radios, upolstery, and engineering as in the 2 peice vacuum disengage front axle. When I ordered my Eagle in 1984 it was from a AMC/Jeep/Eagle dealer and I could have just as well ordered a CJ or Grand Waggy or Cherokee at the same desk. I think all AMC products have some great features that were carried thru the whole model lines, and conversly some bad ideas. And I'll tell you my Eagle has been off road and I really never had a bit of problem with it as I had with all the CJ's, Waggys, small Cherokees I ever owned. BTW how come I can bolt a 401 right into my Eagle? Jeff

Very true. Parts are interchangable. I've said it before, lots of parent companies do this. Want an example, take Ford Motor Company. The Ford Ranger and the Mazda B4000. Same engine, tranny, transfer case, axles, frame.........minor body differences. So are they the same? Well, sounds like it to me, but wait! They have different company badges, like the Jeeps and the Eagles that were all produced by AMC.

Why can you bolt in a 401, same reason Hemis are going into TJs so easily. The parent company is using similar pieces in all of it's lines. BUT the badges are different, as are the budgets and accounts.

Let's not forget what I've said TWO (2) times already. Be proud of being an Eagle owner! Don't lust after being called a Jeep owner.

Erik

mick
11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
No, I am proud to drive less desirable junk.

And come to think of it Jeep did reincarnate the Eagle, they call it the Liberty.

I do have one question. Why does the owners manual for my 77 J10 say on page 2 and 38 "all Jeep products have 4 wheel drive"?

Trailbst
11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
No, I am proud to drive less desirable junk.

And come to think of it Jeep did reincarnate the Eagle, they call it the Liberty.

I do have one question. Why does the owners manual for my 77 J10 say on page 2 and 38 "all Jeep products have 4 wheel drive"?

Now you're poking to keep me going.

The Liberty is not a re-incarnation. First, it's a Jeep and not an Eagle. Second it has IFS, and it's not the first Jeep to have IFS. Which one was?

I don't know why your manual says that. Obviously it's not true. The DJ-5 was still in production and it was two-wheel drive.

So let's see, if poking it is, then poking it will be. So by your assertion, that since the Eagle was made by AMC as was Jeep, that your Eagle is a Jeep, then that makes a Hummer a Jeep, since AM General was the Govie side of AMC at the time of the conception of the Hummer and the initial manufacturing. #-o :oops:

Erik

Blown7
11-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Why can you bolt in a 401, same reason Hemis are going into TJs so easily. The parent company is using similar pieces in all of it's lines. BUT the badges are different, as are the budgets and accounts Erik

:-| Well to be specific I didn't know you could bolt the only true Hemi the 392 in a TJ or are you talking about the almost Hemi 426? Surely your not talking the make believe engines that Chrysler is promoting in the new vechicles as a Hemi? When you talk Hemi and Chrysler they have the name trademarked so they can badge any engine as a "Hemi"
But the real people in the know don't call the new engines Hemispherical chamber engines.

Jeff

Jeff

Lifted79CJ7
11-30-2005, 11:11 PM

:?: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:

IowaEagle
02-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi, first post here so here goes.

Mick shared this was going on over at the Nest and I kind of got a chuckle out of it. One thing I guess I will share, whether or not folks think of the AMC Eagle and the AMC Jeeps related or not, is this:

Roy C. Lunn, vice-president of AMC's Jeep division created/engineered the following noteworthy vehicles: AMC Eagle, AMC Jeep Cherokee; AMC Jeep CJ7 and the AMG Humvee. The AMC Eagle was the test platform for the later Cherokee to demonstrate 4WD was feasilbe on a unit body vehicle. The first prototype Eagle (really a Hornet ca. 1974) used off the shelf Jeep parts but Mr. Lunn felt the components at that time were too crude for to use in a car based 4WD. It was about 3 years later when he had fitted in, what he called at the time, QTII. That is a viscous coupled transfer case in lieu of the QTI set up he used before.

Is the AMC Eagle an AMC Jeep? Technically, "no". However, the AMC Eagle was sold and "EPA'd"as a light truck, never a car, Jeep products of the time used a lot of AMC car parts (yes, even Pacer parts). So what was the AMC Eagle -- IMO a Hybrid between AMC 2WD passenger car with some AMC Jeep components and a few components unique to the AMC Eagle. And, admittedly by AMC execs a test bed for future Jeeps.

But wait, maybe they are Jeeps. European AMC Eagles, according to our European members were sold and registered over there as "Jeep Eagles".

There is a lot more history I could share as Mr. Lunn did send me a few years ago much of his original design and concept information for continued safe keeping as he was moving back to Europe and his wife made him get rid of it. Some really neat and interesting stuff. One plaque he sent was his 4X4 of the year award (1980) for, you guessed it, the AMC Eagle.

BREK
02-09-2006, 04:01 PM
hey blown7 I've seen a tj here in minnesota with a viper motor and trans in it :lo1l:

Blown7
02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
hey blown7 I've seen a tj here in minnesota with a viper motor and trans in it :lo1l:
Thats cool, actually last year I was following on ebay a CJ7 that also had a Viper engine in it and it was billed as a one of a kind, no holds or expense barred "Ultimate" CJ 7 I think the reserve on it was over 100K, never did sell. On another note was is exactly a Vipers engine designation?
I truely don't know, all I ever see is "Viper engine installed" what is exactly a Viper engine other than it has 10 cylinders. Jeff

Blown7
02-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi, first post here so here goes.

Mick shared this was going on over at the Nest and I kind of got a chuckle out of it. One thing I guess I will share, whether or not folks think of the AMC Eagle and the AMC Jeeps related or not, is this:

Roy C. Lunn, vice-president of AMC's Jeep division created/engineered the following noteworthy vehicles: AMC Eagle, AMC Jeep Cherokee; AMC Jeep CJ7 and the AMG Humvee. The AMC Eagle was the test platform for the later Cherokee to demonstrate 4WD was feasilbe on a unit body vehicle. The first prototype Eagle (really a Hornet ca. 1974) used off the shelf Jeep parts but Mr. Lunn felt the components at that time were too crude for to use in a car based 4WD. It was about 3 years later when he had fitted in, what he called at the time, QTII. That is a viscous coupled transfer case in lieu of the QTI set up he used before.

Is the AMC Eagle an AMC Jeep? Technically, "no". However, the AMC Eagle was sold and "EPA'd"as a light truck, never a car, Jeep products of the time used a lot of AMC car parts (yes, even Pacer parts). So what was the AMC Eagle -- IMO a Hybrid between AMC 2WD passenger car with some AMC Jeep components and a few components unique to the AMC Eagle. And, admittedly by AMC execs a test bed for future Jeeps.

But wait, maybe they are Jeeps. European AMC Eagles, according to our European members were sold and registered over there as "Jeep Eagles".

There is a lot more history I could share as Mr. Lunn did send me a few years ago much of his original design and concept information for continued safe keeping as he was moving back to Europe and his wife made him get rid of it. Some really neat and interesting stuff. One plaque he sent was his 4X4 of the year award (1980) for, you guessed it, the AMC Eagle.
Hey Iowa glad to see you made it here, I must confess I haven't been on the Eagle site in quite a while. Welcome!
Jeff

BREK
02-13-2006, 09:35 AM
well I do know that the viper engine is all alluminum and 500hp,but if you ask me that's not all that impressive for that large of an engine

Bulltear Ad