PDA

View Full Version : J10 Without Pity

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

GratefulTread
12-04-2005, 04:01 PM
I was hoping my first post here would be to brag about how great my 1982 J10 project was performing, but the truck has other ideas about fame...

Wouldn't start after a routine drive to the Mega-Lo-Mart, jump didn't help; battery tests good, pulled the starter and NAPA tested it as good. Decided it must be the ignition switch, replaced with new. Then it MUST be the solenoid, which I also replaced without testing, but no luck. All the lights work, no burned fuses. Turn the key and the oil & seat belt light work right, all gauges report normally but no start, no click, nothing. (Ammeter drops a little from 0 as the key is turned and back to center when released).

I am at the limits of my feeble intelligence! Any guesses? I wouldn't think a bad ignition module would keep the stater from running, and wiring seems to be OK. I do have a fairly good Actron meter, but it is still a little bit of VooDoo to me, and I probably haven't applied the right test.

I must be missing something... what do you think?

1982 J10, 360 w/Holley 4bbl & 727TF.

donwag
12-05-2005, 09:18 AM
If I remember correctly the 82 has fusable links up by the solenoid. If the one to the alternator is blown you will have no powere to the starter.

Have someone in the drivers seat for you and check the voltage to the starter side if the solenoid in start mode. Then work your way back to find the problem.

See http://oljeep.com/ for wiring diagrams.

If you do good with manuals - I could scan and send you the trouble shooting guide from the TSM.

S

wolfe_man
12-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I had the exact problem on my jeep/scout. It ended up being stupid black corrosion on my battery cables (on the inside of the terminal piece), Lights worked..never clicked when trying to start and wouldnt jumpstar either. Never thought to look as the posts were clean....took some sandpaper to it and the bastard fired right up....

GratefulTread
12-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice... haven't had time to get back out to try to fire it up again. The land of enchantment is in the grip of an arctic freeze, and my garage is actually just a flat patch of gravel in the middle of the yard. I just stare out the window clutching my Service Manual and a Sierra Nevada visualizing the tangled wires in the dash...

Isn't there a switch somewhere in the vicinity of the trans that locks the starter out if the shifter isn't in park or neutral?

Time to sit down and read up on how exactly to use this meter thingy...

donwag
12-08-2005, 08:33 AM
If you have an automatic transmission there should be a neutral safety switch. It is located on the transmission. Check the wiring diagram and test the in/out leads.

Toy Maker
12-13-2005, 05:50 AM
First, try starting the truck in neutral, if you have not already. If it does not crank in neutral, hold the key in the start position and move the shift lever back and forth some. If it does crank then your shifter linkage is out of adjustment and/or the engine/transmission mounts are bad. If it does not crank then, look on the drivers side of the transmission. There is a three wire plug on the neutral safety switch, The outer two are for the backup lights, the center pin is the ground path for the starter relay. Check the center connection in the harness for power when unplugged while someone holds the switch in the crank position. If there is power, then jump the connection to ground and check to see that it cranks. If it cranks, then the switch is bad. Clean around the switch body before removing with a deep well thin wall socket. You will loose some transmission fluid when removing the switsh, so be prepared to catch it and to put in fresh fluid.

GratefulTread
01-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Finally got off my butt and back under the truck (on my... uh, butt) and checked out the transmission starter lockout switch. Should have looked here first! The switch wire connector was hanging loose, stuck it on and fired the beast right up... hooray! Lot of grief for one loose connection, now that I've replaced all the other goodies.

On the positive side, I saved a hell of a lot of gasoline while it was sitting dormant...

Thanks for the help guys!

Bulltear Ad