PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure agian

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

ckraker
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Is anyone else getting bored with oil pressure problems? If there is anyone out there that wants to try to help with another oil pressure problem, I will be grateful.

304---
just put new main bearings in (oversize)

Started the engine and got very high oil pressure then the relief valve let loose and it dropped to about nothing, messed with the relief valve spring(not a good Idea), tried it again still no pressure at all. bought new gears--- specs are all good, no pressure. bought new timing chain cover, new gears and new spring/ plunger. started and still no oil pressure. It isn't the pressure gauge because I have a mechanical one hooked up. What am I doing wrong? could my pick up tube be too close to the bottom of the oil pan?

Please help I'm losing what little bit of faith I had in AMC engines.
Thanks a lot!

jeepsr4ever
12-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Boy that sucks that you had put that dough into it and still nothing. You sure about your guage? I wonder if you havent spun a bearing. Are you running a valley line? Can you tell me more about the history of the motor

donwag
12-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Don't understand your comment about the relief spring. Assuming the relief is working properly, is the engine making any unusual noise? Have you checked to see if you have a busted pushrod? With a busted pushrod, if a lifter pops out it leaves the oil passage wide open and will go to zero pressure.

Seems to me you have done the correct things so far.

ckraker
12-10-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm not the best mechanic in the world, but I've been at stuff like this for well over 7 years.

I drained my oil pan (getting ready to drop the pan to check the pickup tube) I found about 2 quarts of oil.....................................that's it.

Not sure where the other 3 went-- but you'll never guess what oil will do for oil pressure, it's amazing....

In my defence..... the dipstick is not reading correctly, but still............

Still have low pressure 30-40 while RPM'S are up--- but that is with 5W30. How much will some 15W40 bring it up?

thanks

jeepsr4ever
12-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Hmmm I wonder if your pcv valve is sucking it up. Depending on what style oil filter adaptor you have (oil filter bypass or not) you may or may not be able to run 15W40 in the winter. Not sure where your from but basic viscosity rules apply (lighter in winter heavy in summer). Some have noticed a 15psi gain but most under 10

Holeshot
12-15-2005, 02:22 PM
amazing how fast those tin coated bearings transfer themselves onto the crank journals, isn't it????

Bulltear Ad