PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another amc oiling question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mud4me
01-21-2006, 06:09 PM
I have a new remanufactured amc 360 long block. When i installed it i put on a new timing cover, new pump gears, new pump gear cover, and a new pickup tube in the pan. When i first fired it up it had great oil pressure, would jump up to about 50-60 psi cold. Then when warm it would go back around 20-25ish. Maybe a little lower sometimes but well within the acceptable range. The jeep sat for a while and i took it out yesterday right before i was going riding just to test things out. When i started it up it jumped to 25psi..stayed there the entire time i was riding even when it got warm. I go out this morning fire it up and get nothing registering on the gauge. Maybe just barely above what it is when you turn the key on. Its not a sender problem, i have an electric and a mechanical gauge. Any ideas?

tarior
01-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Broken pick up, or pressure bypass stuck open?

jeepsr4ever
01-21-2006, 07:26 PM
pressure bypass stuck (take out spring and plunger...clean and re-install)
Bad oil filter
Pump out of spec
Bad sending unit
pickup tube damaged
pickup tube stuck to bottom of pan
pickup tube not inserted properly
spun bearing

Mud4me
01-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I tried to take out the spring and plunger, but the plunger seemed to be stuck. When i took the cap off the spring came out but not the plunger. Im going to drop the pan tomorrow and check the pickup. When you say pickup not inserted properly what do you mean, also what is spec for the distance the pickup should be from teh oil pan?

jeepsr4ever
01-22-2006, 06:34 AM
Was it a used oil filter adaptor? If you cant get the plunger out stop there. Buy yourself a new oil filter adaptor and oil pump kit.

Mud4me
01-22-2006, 08:29 AM
It was a new oil filter adapter. Everything was new, timing cover, oil filter adapter, pump gears. What i cant figure is why it held great pressure for a while then suddenly nothing.

jeepsr4ever
01-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Did you use vaseline to prime the pump? Sometimes it gest behind the plunger and causes it to stick....if possible take the plunger out celan and re-assemble and then try to restart. A sticking plunger will do just that

Mudrat
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
I HATE it when vaseline sticks to my plunger :shock:

tarior
01-22-2006, 11:06 PM
:ky: :booty: :deathlyobsessed: :pottytrain1:

73hornut
01-23-2006, 08:16 AM
De vaselinen es de schtickinen en der bungholian. :shock:

Mud4me
01-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Just to chime back in i fixed the problem. Im not sure which one was the culprit, but i replaced the oil filter with a K&N filter and took the plunger out and didnt find any scoring or anything. Put it back in and Poof magically oil pressure reappears. Its back to showing 50-60 at startup. . I think it was the LPS syndrome. Little Pieces of S$#&. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mudrat
01-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Just to chime back in i fixed the problem. Im not sure which one was the culprit, but i replaced the oil filter with a K&N filter and took the plunger out and didnt find any scoring or anything. Put it back in and Poof magically oil pressure reappears. Its back to showing 50-60 at startup. . I think it was the LPS syndrome. Little Pieces of S$#&. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Good Deal Mud!!! Now watch the filter and the milage, when you see any drop in pressure, change the filter. but don't trash it, cut it open and see if you have an abnormal amount of sludge in there - it'll tell you the status of your motor. My daughters 87 I-6 was sooooooooo bad I got about 3 qts out of the drain plug, dropped the pan and scooped the other 3 qts out with my hand!!!!!

'Rat

Bulltear Ad