PDA

View Full Version : AMC 401 Oil Pan Gasket- sliding out

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JeepinCT
02-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Installed a new oil pan gasket- cork and used ATV sealer- just a thin film. Torqued to 14lbs and the sucker slid out.. loosted and tried again with the same results.

Do I need to 1) ditch the sealer, use another type, let it dry first, find a rubber gasket....make my own rubber gasket

NEED Help please as my Jeep is not happy. :(:

jeepsr4ever
02-04-2006, 03:06 PM
You probly had oil on the mating surface. You can use hi-tack or many other tacky gasket retaining sprays...sounds like a re-install

JeepinCT
02-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Had the surface really clean-? thought the ATV Silicone made it slide. Yes, it's a re-do- would prefer to find a rubber gasket or one with metal bolt holes.......

tufcj
02-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I never coat cork gaskets with any type of RTV. Like mentioned above, clean both surfaces of all oil (I use brake cleaner). Use permatex hi-tack or trim adhesive on ONE SIDE ONLY. I usually glue the gasket to the block, since it's held on the ends by the rubber seals. I do put a dab of RTV where the cork gasket meets the rubber end pieces. Also, DO NOT over tighten. Watch closely near the bolt, when the gasket bulges out slightly, that's tight enough.

Also, check the pan surface around the bolt holes. Make sure they're flat. If the pan has been overtightened at some time in it's life, chances are the surface is sucked up around the bolt holes. If it isn't flat, it will never seal. You need to tap the sealing surface flat before installing the pan.

Bob
tufcj

JeepinCT
02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Great feedback- thank you! :wink:

youdidwhat
02-06-2006, 07:41 AM
when useing a sealer with a gasket I like to tighten to half torque and let it set for 15 min before I finish torqueing the bolts.

just my .02

JeepinCT
03-20-2006, 10:17 AM
This did not slide- used a very minimal amount of ATV

Bulltear Ad