PDA

View Full Version : Lokar style oil tube/dip stick???

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

amcpower
02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
did you guys ever do anything like a Lokar oil tube/dipstick??

stroked401
03-13-2006, 12:20 AM
A couple years ago I put a lokar dipstick in one of my 401's. I used a small block Chevy dipstick, I believe Lokar offers 2 different ones, the difference between them is the length of the steel braid part. I dont remember the exact one that I used but the only thing I had to do was drill the dipstick hole in the block to a little larger size. Then make sure the oil level mark was at the proper spot.

The PIG Smith
07-17-2006, 06:54 AM
I had to do was drill the dipstick hole in the block to a little larger size. Then make sure the oil level mark was at the proper spot.

1. How did you drill the block and not get chips in the oil?
Also, did you do this while the engine was in the vehicle or out?
How did you keep the drill at the correct angle?
What did you use to seal around the hole and tube?

2. How did you determine what was the correct level?
My guess would be to drain the crankcase, replace the filter, add 6 six quarts, start the engine to fill to filter, shut the engine off to let every drain back into the oil pan.

The PIG Smith
06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Here is a BMUP back to the top for more discussion, further ideas, comments, flames

http://www.breaktaker.com/albums/pictures/signs/Bump.jpg

I truly believe this is a product that would do well.
What I do not know how much rework it would take to make a stock Lokar dipstick to work in an AMC block.

http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/products/eng_dipsticks/images/vortec_ramjet_dipstick.jpg

Another idea would be to partner with Lokar, give them the dimensions and other data for Lokar to build one from scratch
and then have exclusive rights to sell them us AMC/Jeep guys! WOOOOHOOOOO!!

The PIG Smith
06-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Sorry...backing off and shutting up.
MC tells me these Lokar units are made of grey plastic that makes the stick hard to read.
Then after pulling it out the oils stay in the tube and make the stick wet when you re-enter it to get a reading.

Bulltear Ad