PDA

View Full Version : Starter engagement issues on 258 (long read)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

LeadFoot
03-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Hi all

I am having starter engagment problems with my '87 258. The victim is a '87 jeep YJ, with a fresh overhaul (by myself). Nothing cool or exciting, just rings/bearings/ head job, etc. I have a t-150 CJ bellhousing, with a ford NP435 tranny. I also run the stock flywheel, and the stock aluminum inspection plate (or whatever its called). Using a brand new, mean green starter for the '87 258.

It seems the starter teeth are barely engaging on the flywheel teeth. It is like the flywheel is too small in diameter, or the starter gear is too small, or the starter mounting locations are wrong in the bellhousing. I compared measurements with my peugeot thats on the garage floor, and the bellhousing seems to check out OK. I have already worn out the teeth on the original ring gear. The ends are all chewed up. Starting was a 50/50 shot, some teeth were simply wore down more than the others. I have since gotten a new ring gear pressed on, and now, it sounds beautiful when it starts. No binding, nothing. However, it is still only engaging on the edge of the flywheel teeth. I know, over time, the teeth are going to wear down and the same thing is going to happen. There has to be a miss-match somewhere.

Here is a picture of how little contact the starter has. The dark area on the teeth is the only engagment it is getting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/leadfoot/2006_0129_175049AA.jpg

I was searching on pirate, and I read something about candian built vs american built yj's having a slightly different ring gear measurements, but PBB is down currently, so I can't dig that up.

So I'm asking the AMC Gods, what the HECK am I missing here?!?! I am totally lost on this subject. Many thanks for any replies!!

jeepsr4ever
03-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Sounds like you have the flywheel used on the later grand wagoneers. Before you give up check our webstore for a 258 for a proper flywheel. It is possible you are using the later model 360 flywheel which has a different tooth count for the mini starters they used. Dont give up yet the answer is around the corner...it is also possible your using the later 4.0 flywheel....that would explain the size and engagement issues

LeadFoot
03-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I thought 4.0s had those teeth or whatever for the CPS sensor? Mine does not have that.

I was searching, and these three topics got me a little closer to my much needed info.

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4377&highlight=258+flywheel

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2703&highlight=258+flywheel

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1229&highlight=258+flywheel

I forgot to mention that I am using my stock aluminum inspection plate with this set up. Are there two different flywheels for 258s? What about ring gears? This is frustrating beyond belief! :(:

jeepsr4ever
03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
You probly have the later YJ 258 with the smaller diameter ring gear. You may need a newer starter

LeadFoot
03-06-2006, 12:11 AM
What was the year break for the flywheel differences? I had the help of napa look up part #'s for the starters, and they were all the same (that I looked up).

Thanks for the help

jeepsr4ever
03-06-2006, 12:14 AM
hmm wish I had a spare

youdidwhat
03-07-2006, 10:09 AM
this may not work but.

what about elonggatting the holes to bring the starter closer to the flywheel.. ?? :-|

LeadFoot
03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I'll have to double check.....but I think the starter will hit the engine block. Already thought about that. :?:

LeadFoot
03-09-2006, 05:35 PM
I found 4wd Hardware sells 3 different flywheels for the 258 for various years. Does anyone know the differences off hand? I may be onto something. I might try crossposting in engine tech if I can't find out anything in a few days

jerry
03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I have 3 258 out in the shop all have flywheels I think 86, maybe 87 my is a 74 but you can't have now. If you know what you want and they willl work cheap!

Jerry

LeadFoot
03-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Hows this for food for thought....

I checked my starters out tonight. My mean green starter (for my 87 258) has 11 teeth on the starter gear. My generic autozone starter has 9. Both are for my 87 yj.

WTF?

Bulltear Ad