PDA

View Full Version : amckid's toys

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

amckid6970
03-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I posted this in the hotrod room but I guess it belongs here. So this is my stuff that is waiting for my return home. The AMX doesn't leak, it's from my dad's car(just wanted to clear up any ?'s on the matter). Every site I've tryed to use to post pics has been blocked by the GUB-MINT, so here's a link to a Car Domain page I set up to show you guys.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2285045

BREK
03-10-2006, 05:52 PM
looks good I haven't seen pics of your amx yet :lo1l:

amckid6970
03-10-2006, 08:11 PM
My AMX is the grey one in the storage building. Hopefully I can get updated pictures of the car while it's being prepped for the bodyman and while the bodyman has it. :-| They'll probably have to come from my dad but untill then this is all I have. Dad and my friends will be tearing it down and pulling the motor amongst other things to get it ready. :t: It doesn't look like an AMX in the photos because of the Javelin hood, but if you look closely at the side veiw you can see how small the quarterglass is. Dad didn't move the car out to shoot pics because of the stuff that he'd have to hook back up due to it being stored. I have a link to the bodyman's personal site, he usually only works for himself but I hounded him for two years and he's a friend of the family. I bought the car from him too. :t: :t: Here's the link: members.cox.net/mcsuperbee/past_projects.htm

He's owned some very cool cars and most of them aren't pictured on the site.

BREK
03-13-2006, 11:25 AM
you're definately going to have to take a road trip up here when you get back. I have a spare set of slicks for you to try :lo1l: . Shoot maybe I'll take a trip down to iowa, I've heard about a track not to far south of the mn border but I can't remember what town it's in 111!!!

amckid6970
03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I've heard of a track being up around the Souix City area but I've never been. :-| There is an 1/8th mile about 15 miles south of where I live but I haven't been there either, since it's been built while I've been in the Corps. There are plans to make it a 1/4 but they need more land and the farmer who owns the spot they need won't give it up till he passes away. It's cool that there's a track that's close but it sucks being an 1/8th.

Thanks for the offer on the slicks! :t: I was thinking of picking up a set of MT ET streets myself. I'd like to make a couple passes in Brainerd, I've wanted to race there since going there as a kid to watch the Northstar Nationals. I'll see if my little brother will bring his 71 401 4spd AMX too. :lo1l: He's got some bugs to work out since he rebuilt the 401 but it should be ready by 2007. How strict are they on the rules up there? I'm not saying I'm on a suicide mission but I'd like to have it pass inspection when I get there. :mrgreen: I'd hate to make the 500 mile trip and not pass inspection. I won't bring up the beer involved with the visit because that's a given. :razz: :razz: :t:

BREK
03-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Brainerd is pretty strict about inspections. If your battery is in the trunk it has to be in a vented box and you have to have a power cut off switch if it is in the stock location you have to have a good hold down, if you have an automatic you must have a neutral safety switch or if you have a stick you have to have a switch that only allows the car to start when the clutch is depressed, also I think it is a rule to have a double spring throttle return. I'm not sure if it is a rule but I think if you are running rubber motor mounts you might want to chain down the left side of the engine. If you make it to either the muscle car shootuot or the show n go the car also has to have nice paint ( no primer no bad paint etc). When I send you the mags and what not I will see if I can find an nhra rule book also. Don't worry about the beer there will be plenty of it there as long as you like mich golden light, yeah I know "light beer" but the way I figure with light beer I can drink more of it :razz:

amckid6970
04-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Here's a pic of dad's truck. I just made a deal for it, so it'll be mine real soon. :lo1l: It's a 78 Levi's Honcho, 3602bbl/3spd stick. Minus the rust, the orange and blue interior are the original colors. it was repainted in the early 90's. But I'm sure you can see the winters weren't nice to it. :smile:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2285000-2285999/2285045_16_full.jpg

tarior
04-08-2006, 02:46 AM
I checked out your car domain pics. Your bud with the '72 Matador needs some ported Indy 401 SR heads and and a .600 lift cam. That car with 600 Hp would RULE!!!

amckid6970
04-08-2006, 02:24 PM
He planned on putting the High compression 71 heads on it but he doesn't have the funds to put the Indy stuff on it. It's pretty darn fast the way it sits. :mrgreen: He bought the car for $1500 a few years ago, it was a 360 2bbl 2.87 open rear. He bought a $700 Wagoneer that had 6,000 miles on a rebuilt 401 swapped the engines and sold the Wagoneer for $750. It has the Air gap and an RV cam in it right now. He did put a locker in it but it still sports the 2.87's. That thing haulz for just an RV cam! :lo1l: here's a pic....
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2285000-2285999/2285045_12_full.jpg

tarior
04-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Really makes me want to get mine going.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/tarior/HPIM0003.jpg

amckid6970
04-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see you get yours going! :mrgreen: Did you say you were planning on a 360 or 401 in it? :-|

tarior
04-09-2006, 02:51 AM
I have a fresh '70 360 just waiting on the stand, but I haven't come up with the 5 speed trans that I want. So, in my impatience, I am a little tempted to slap in a 401/TH400, just to make it go for summer.

amckid6970
04-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Sounds good either way way you go. :t: I'd be impatient one and toss the TH400 in for the summer. :mrgreen:

amckid6970
04-15-2006, 12:24 AM
I got pictures of my brother's AMX!! :lo1l: Here's a teaser. :wink:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2285000-2285999/2285045_28_full.jpg

BREK
04-17-2006, 09:08 AM
looks good :lo1l:

amckid6970
04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks BREK. :t: Right after we knew his 401 was broken in we went out to a secluded highway just to see who was faster. Well after two runs we couldn't decide who was faster! He's running 3.54's I'm running 3.15's both 4spds 390 vs 401..... It doesn't get much better than that! :?: Shift for shift we were side by side the whole way! One of the best times I've ever had. :!:

BREK
04-17-2006, 03:33 PM
sounds like something i would do :lo1l: . i wish i could talk my brother into putting his nova back on the street so i could teach him a lesson or two :mrgreen: i hope you can talk your brother into bringing his car up also when you come up here to visit

amckid6970
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I think I know how you feel. It took a lot of arm twisting to get dad to get his Grand Prix running again, and it takes even more to get my brother to drive his car. He knows how rare the car is but in the shape that it's in he's embarassed to drive it. :smile: The headers are so rusted that the exhaust had to be welded to the headers, so it clatters pretty bad right now. He's considered selling in the past because he can't really afford to drive and maintain the car let alone fix the problems that it has. But I've told him he can have the air gap off of my 70 and the headers off my 69 to get the car running the way it should. I plan on getting new headers anyway and the air gap probably would have been stored on a shelf in the garage. He won't sell now but sometimes it takes a little donation and a kick in the pants to motivate him but hey, that's what brothers are for right? :wink:

BREK
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
as good as his car looks in the pics if it were me i woulden't care if the exhaust leaked i'd still drive it and be proud of it :t: my brothers nova has had most of the wiring stripped from the car in an effort to make it lighter so we would be in for a lot of work to put that one back on the street

amckid6970
04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Good luck with the wiring! I'm horrible at that stuff, I guess it's my lack of patience that gets me on those kind of jobs. My friend in Jacksonville is a big Nova guy. 30 years as a GM mechanic and the last 7 have been on his own. He has a 67 with a 13.5 to 1 406 smallblock in it. He's helped me a ton with any problems I had while I had the AMX down there. Even though he always gives me sh*t about owning a Rambler. He does it to poke fun cause we're friends, but the one that gets it worse than me has an early 90's fox body Mustang with a 347 stroker. I hang out down at his shop after work almost everyday just to pick up things and he'll even take the time to explain things as he's going. He's a great guy even though he is a Chevy fan. :mrgreen:

BREK
04-19-2006, 08:43 AM
yeah i hate electrical work also, but if we do decide to put the nova back on the street i think we'll just order a painless wiring kit. i know what you mean about people poking fun at the amc crowd but usually after some of us take trophies and the chebby and fjord guys don't they stop laughing and start comlaining that there should of been a different class for us, and when there is a different class for us they complain that there's only 5 or 6 cars show up and theres 20 to 30 cars in their class :smile: my answer for that is maybe you should have built (or bought) a different car 8)

amckid6970
04-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree, but to his defence I've been stationed there for 3 years and I've driven all over down there and I've seen maybe 5 AMC's. One was a completely rusted to oblivion 74 AMX, a 73 Javelin 401 drag car (very cool) :t: , a 68 AMX drag car that is running a 360 MOPAR crate engine. :smile:, a 68 343 auto that had 54.000 original miles. That car was original everything including the wheel covers and faded red paint. It buffed out but it would fade again a few days later. Everything else is Jeeps, not that its a bad thing, you just don't see AMC cars down there. Lots of Dodge and Chevy though.

amckid6970
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
I got a clip from home! It starts with dad's 66 Grand Prix and at the end there is a short clip of the black 72 Matador. :mrgreen:
http://www.1320video.com/vids/66gp.wmv
The guys who run this site cover all kinds of racing including the stuff that goes on on the street. I e-mailed them and asked if they would drop by and video dad's car and they did it! They don't have any AMCs in their vids except for the Matador. :smile: Nice group of guys though.

There's also a clip of a 77 Gremlin running down the 1320 at this site: http://www.somuscle.com/Video/ Damn PA guy calls it cute though. :(:

jeepsr4ever
05-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Nice rides!!! :t:

BREK
05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
nice video's :t:

the damn track announcer at rock falls raceway in elk mound wi kept calling my car cute 8) kinda embarrasing if you ask me :oops:

amckid6970
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks, They kept shutting it down there in the begining because they found a fuel leak, then a freeze plug leak, then the new radiator had an air pocket in it.... Bottom line is they did get the cam broken in before they lost daylight. Oh and that was filmed on a Sunday afternoon. I wonder why the neighbors don't like us much? :-| And the Matador sounds pretty good for just an RV cam. He just put 2.5 inch Dynomax muffs on it. It sets off car alarms now. :!: :lo1l:

And for those PA guys... I call 'em poor loosers. He must have been embarassed by a Rambler before. I don't even think girl drag racers like their car being called cute, nomatter what they're driving.

BREK
05-10-2006, 03:09 PM
our neighbors have called the cops on us before but our city noise ordinance doesen't kick in until 9:00pm so theres not a darn thing they can do about it, also our city mayor told me that someone has to seal coat the roads so if i don't mind burning up a set of tires to have at it so needless to say i wrecked my brand new hoosier quiktimes :t:

amckid6970
05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Awesome! :lo1l: Very cool mayor! I think the main reason they don't like us is we have a one car driveway and garage and 13 :shock: vehicles. The AMXs are in storage and the Javelin sits across the street in one of the nice neighbors extra driveways (we shovel snow in the winter for them so we can use it) and the rest goes in the street. It's a dead end street so the traffic is minimal but half the neighbors can't park in front of their house. :mrgreen: It thins out when my brother goes to school but when I get home they're really gonna be upset. (I'm bringing 3 more from Carolina)

The guy that owns the Matador (Jeff) used to own a 340 69 Barracuda that was in primer. His neighbors turned it in to the city as a junk car. When the cops showed up to make him move it he told them it had open headers and that's way it hasn't moved. When the cops were gone he fired it up and did two really long burnouts back and forth down the street.... The neighbors quit complaining. :?

BREK
05-10-2006, 03:42 PM
thats pretty much how we broke in our neighborhood also, just started doing burnouts up and down the road until 1 day one of the :ahole: neighbors chased my dad down and told us if we didn't shut the car down he was going to kick all 3 of our asses, yeah ok pal we'll take the 3 on one odds. turns out he's the only one who complaines (guessing he's jealous cause he drives crappy vehicles).

amckid6970
05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
I'd say so! Not all of our neighbors hate us, but it's always the a$$holes that stand out. dad said they got a new neighbor next door and he's got a built Monte Carlo that gets parked in the front yard of all places. So they have more to worry about now. Besides there's only about 3 or the original compainers left. The others gave up and moved away. :mrgreen: =D>

Bulltear Ad