PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean out my gas tank?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
03-15-2006, 07:58 PM
I am going to install my tank on the Jeep this weekend (if the hoses get here). I removed the sending unit (got a new one) last weekend & the tank had the usual rust in the bottom, not much but just crud I want to remove b-4 I reinstall it, other wise the tank is in good shape.

Is there a cleaner or something I could use to achieve this?

Thanks,
RollBar

pyagid
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Maybe
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/FUELSYSTEMRESTORATION/USSTANDARDFUELTANKSEALER/tabid/112/Default.aspx

I am sure there are other products out there too

-Paul

youdidwhat
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
get a few cans of "Sea Foam" system cleaner at your local parts store and let that stuff sit in there for a couple of days, that stuff will clean anything

rollbar
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
get a few cans of "Sea Foam" system cleaner at your local parts store and let that stuff sit in there for a couple of days, that stuff will clean anything

O.K. Then I just wash it out w/H20 & then some alcohol

Mudrat
03-16-2006, 10:14 PM
And let it air dry COMPLETELY!!!! Or put a vacuum exhause in there for and hour to make sue there's no water left in there.

Pat

youdidwhat
03-17-2006, 08:58 AM

O.K. Then I just wash it out w/H20 & then some alcohol

that should get avout all of it.

"Sea Foam" is an all oil based system cleaner, meaning it is for all systems that are oil based, Tranny T-case, diffs, fuel, fuel system, etc.

normally you put one to two cans for a tank of gas, but with that much build up running it though your system on vehicle would reek havoc on everything. As you know.

I've also used it in my crank case to free up sticky lifters and in the tranny to clean out muddy water. when I use it in the tranny, crank case, or diffs, etc. I'll put it in the system, drive for ten or twenty miles and let it sit for 24 hrs, then run another 10 or so miles and let it sit for another day.

the stuff works better the longer you let it sit.

with most systems you will notice the problem getting worse in the first 24 hrs then out of nowhere you ride starts smoothing out.

When I used it for my injectors after a day I was so angry at the way my rig was running I almost tore down the whole injector rail, but each day after that my rig was better, and I never had that trouble again.

rollbar
03-17-2006, 07:55 PM
What about Eastwood.com's gas tank Cleaner/sealer.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=382&itemType=PRODUCT

Has anyone used it?

Thanks for the Seafoam tip, I have used it b-4 but not in this way.

Thanks,
RollBar

youdidwhat
03-18-2006, 07:47 AM
What about Eastwood.com's gas tank Cleaner/sealer.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=382&itemType=PRODUCT

Has anyone used it?

Thanks,
RollBar

never used it before, but if you do use it let me know, how it works.

rollbar
03-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Ya, I'm thinking about it or just buying aero tank (33gal). I'm not to keen on the coating aspect of that product in my tank. I just don't see how after many years that stuff would stay but that's just me.

RollBar

happyhoppy
03-19-2006, 08:03 PM
I've used a handfull of sheetrock screws inside the tank and shook very hard for a while, then a cleaner and more screws. If you really want to be save count the screws first !!!

rollbar
04-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Well a friend of mine has a brand new 15gal tank w/a new sending unit for FREE, nothing, NODDA. It will do for now but I still want the bigger aero-tank.

Thanks everyone for the comments & ideas.

RollBar

tufcj
04-04-2006, 06:19 AM
I had an Aero tank for a while, and I wasn't really happy with it. It was one with an in-tank pump for my EFI. I could never get the O-ring where the pump installed to seal. I finally bought a tank from Trail-Quest. ( http://www.trailquest.com/tanks.shtml ) It's only 23 gallon, but doesn't hang as low as the Aero. They even welded the mounts 1" lower for me to raise the tank 1" at no charge, since my CJ has a 1" body lift. I think the Trailquest is a much better tank. They will also build to spec for about the same price.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
04-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Bob, I'll look into it & I also will have a 1"BL so thanks for the idea.

Rollbar

BREK
04-04-2006, 04:36 PM
i sent the tank out of my amx to a place called tank renu, got it back and it looks good, doesen't leak, and i was told it now has a lifetime warranty against leakage. the only drawback is it costed me about $300 by the time it was done

Mudrat
04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
i sent the tank out of my amx to a place called tank renu, got it back and it looks good, doesen't leak, and i was told it now has a lifetime warranty against leakage. the only drawback is it costed me about $300 by the time it was done
You could buy a couple tanks for that price :shock:

rollbar
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
You could buy a couple tanks for that price :shock:

I didn't want to say that but............ :?

tufcj
04-05-2006, 06:39 AM
$300 to repair an AMX tank is probably OK. I haven't seen a NOS one in years, and nobody is repopping them, so new isn't an option. I've seen good used ones go for over $300 on ebay.

Bob
tufcj

BREK
04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
i thought $300 was a little high also, but now it has a lifetime warranty

Bulltear Ad