PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

81cj
03-18-2006, 12:30 AM
fuel gauge pegs beyond full when I turn on the key and comes down to half when empty. new wiring, new gauge, new sending unit. WHAT THE HAY?????? :(: 111!!! #-o

youdidwhat
03-18-2006, 07:49 AM
I would start with sending unit.

Just my $.02

tufcj
03-18-2006, 08:46 AM
This helped when I had problems with my fuel gauge. Some of the cheap chinese gauges aren't calibrated correctly, so spend a little more at the dealer and get a quality gauge.

http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/gauges.htm

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Had the same issue on the YJ (old gauge, new wiring, plastic tank). I found a bad ground on the sending unit. The chassis wiring all checked out resistance wise, I could make the gauge move with a variable resistor, but the tank ground had broken and the chassis harness is grounded to the frame.

No ground, bad gauge reading.

Saved me from buying stuff, but I still had to drop the tank to find the problem.

If that's not it - Yup, sounds like a sending unit.

Pat

81cj
03-19-2006, 08:36 PM
I already replaced the sending unit twice with new ones from quadratec. as well as gauge twice. I'm thinking their just junk senders :smile:

Mudrat
03-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I already replaced the sending unit twice with new ones from quadratec. as well as gauge twice. I'm thinking their just junk senders :smile:
Sounds like something else to me ... lotsa new parts, same problem? Quadratec has been around a while and I've not had a problem with their stuff. Suggest you go thru the TSM and follow the trouble shooting steps. I'm a tron-tracker by trade and my problem was kicking my azz until I dropped the tank and checked grounds.

tufcj
03-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Going to (or beyond) full would indicate that the wire between the sender and back of the gauge (I think it's pink) is grounded out. I'd start by testing that wire, or running a temporary new wire to see if it solves the problem.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad