PDA

View Full Version : Stock air cleaner vs 360 degree aftermarket

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FullSizeJeeper
03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm finishing a build up on an AMC 360 for a full size jeep. Looking for feedback on aircleaners. I have a edelbrock 600 cfm carb and preformer intake, summit 8600 cam, roller rockers, and edelbrock shorty headers, it is bored .40 over. The vechicle will be a daily driver and used offroad regularly. I realize the edelbrock 360 degree air cleaner will increase air flow, but I have concerns with water intake and hot air from the engine compartment. Will the stock air cleaner provide adequate airflow for the 4bbl carb?

jeepsr4ever
03-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Open element air cleaners actually rob power by sucking in warm engine bay temps

J4GRAND
03-24-2006, 08:26 AM
I have a stock air cleaner on the Edelbrock 1407 (750 CFM) that's on the 360 in my J4000 and have had no problems with it breathing properly. Like jeepsforever said, you are sucking in warm engine bay air with an open element whereas you can use a hose on the air cleaner snorkel to bring in cool outside air.

Goose
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Well
I can add one more advantage to keeping the stock aircleaner heat tube.. If you use the open element in the winter with a phenolic spacer under the carb (to keep it from percolating fuel in the summer) the venturis will ice up..and presto..no more vroom vroom from under the hood.. but with the heat tube in place(at least in the winter) no sweat.. (Trust me it is mucho embarrasing to have your jeep quit in front of all your chevy/ford buds..)

FullSizeJeeper
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I stirred up a 74 stock air cleaner that should work out well, a little simpler than the newer models. I don't need the extra shut off door. I think I can modify a Safari snorkel to fit this cleaner as well.

Bulltear Ad