PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Grand Cherokee Ignition cylinder

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
04-24-2006, 03:42 PM
How do U replace the key ignition cyl. Key broke off & it won't come out so I'm changing the cyl.

tufcj
04-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure who makes the column on the 93. If it's a GM/Saginaw unit, you have to pull the steering wheel and remove the lock plate (special tool needed). There is a tab at the back of the lock cylinder that can only be pushed with the key in the "ON" position. Push the tab and the barrel slides out.

I'm not sure if it's by a different manufacturer, or if it has an air bag.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
04-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Ya, air bag. I finally found a book @ three different places. Rotate the the cyl. to the run position, push tab on the side of the cyl & the cyl pops out 1/4 way. Then rotate the cyl to the lock position & remove the key to remove the cyl.

I can't do the latter since the key is broken off inside & I can't get the key out! I'm gonna play w/it somemore, if not, I'll use a BH.

Thanks Bob, your alway's a big help. :t:

youdidwhat
04-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Ya, air bag. I finally found a book @ three different places. Rotate the the cyl. to the run position, push tab on the side of the cyl & the cyl pops out 1/4 way. Then rotate the cyl to the lock position & remove the key to remove the cyl.

I can't do the latter since the key is broken off inside & I can't get the key out! I'm gonna play w/it somemore, if not, I'll use a BH.

Thanks Bob, your alway's a big help. :t:

did you try gum??

or pull the plate off the ign. cylinder and dig with needle nose.

rollbar
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Finally got it a few min ago. took my die grinder to open it up some & got the needle nose in there.

Thanks for the help,
RollBar

youdidwhat
04-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Finally got it a few min ago. took my die grinder to open it up some & got the needle nose in there.

Thanks for the help,
RollBar :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad