PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Problems

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

abnsigo
04-25-2006, 10:48 PM
I have a '73 Jeep CJ5 with an AMC 304. Last year I replaced the rear main seal and inspected main bearings while at it. They were totally worn which I figured was the oil pressure culprit. I used to get about 40-50 pounds cold and down to about 5-10 at operating temp. I figured I'd tackle a rebuild.

I rebuilt the engine and had a machine shop install the cam bearings when they did all machine work. When I finally got the engine back in the Jeep I got about 10 pounds when I first cranked it then it dropped to just about nothing. During the rebuild I replaced the oil pump housing and timing chain cover with units purchased from Fourwheel Drive Hardware. I thought it was a bad electric gauge so I bought a mechanical one and had the same result. Here are the steps I have taken to remedy this:

1. Checked clearance of pickup tube and oil pan by placing stirofoam in the pan. I've got about 3/4" between the pickup and the pan. (I didnot leave this in the pan. Just used it to determine clearance)

2. Replaced the bypass spring.

3. Replaced the oil pump and adapter housing.

I also primed the pump by inserting a screwdriver connected to a drill.

Nothing has seemed to work. I still get low oil pressure. Where could I have gone wrong? Could I have not primed it well or should I be looking at bigger issues such as bearing problems inside the motor? This is driving me crazy and the worst part is I've got one more wheelin' trip before deploying to Iraq for a year. At this rate I won't get my rig running for my trip.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Casey

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2006, 05:23 AM
Casey it sounds like you may have either a stuck plunger in the oil filter adaptor or a missing plunger :shock: Either way that 10psi is not acceptable and their are clearances somewhere that are too great if the plunger isnt the issue. :idea: Lookto the mains possibly being oversize or rod bearings. If your cam bearings were installed in correctly they may cause this if they werent installed all the way in. Sounds like it should hit the stand again. :oops:

abnsigo
04-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the note. I was affraid of that. The plunger you are talking about is in the oil housing correct?

Casey

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Correct the oil filter housing

Bulltear Ad