PDA

View Full Version : High oil pressure

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Edge904
05-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I just got my new 401 running for the first time.. the oil pressure is really high though. I'm running 6 quarts of Mobile 1 15w40 extended life synthetic, and have the BullTear filter relocation kit.

I'm running a mechanical gauge and am reading 80psi on cold idle, 65-70 on warm idle. Cold, if I rev the engine, the needle pegs above 100..

I haven't purged the air from the gauge line (I dont think that would cause a high reading), and I haven't tried another gauge. This is the same gauge I had with my 304 which would read 20 cold idle, 5 warm running.

6 quarts too much? I suspected the filter, but wouldn't the bypass in the adapter plate open up?

I haven't messed around with this too much -- but I'd like some opinions before I run the engine too long with pressure this high.

fuzz401
05-12-2006, 08:19 PM
change the by pass spring

tufcj
05-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Don't run it too long with those pressures. My new 390 was about the same. Ate the cam gear (gave out after about 30 minutes of run time). Had to pull the pan and clean the pickup + replace the gears. Turned out to be the combo of a high pressure spring and a new oil filter adapter without the filter bypass. That kind of pressure just put too much strain on the gears. Went back to a stock pressure spring and haven't had a problem since.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
05-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Take the plunger out and re-install it. Sometimes they stick if you use assembly or vaseline for priming the pump.

Edge904
05-19-2006, 06:17 AM
When removing the plunger assembly from my 304 - I noticed something was different on the 401.

Someone had machined a spacer of sorts out of a bolt. The spacer was placed between the spring and the threaded cap, forcing the spring to compress an extra 3/16" or so. I would imagine the extra compression would cause the spring to require more force to compress, and open the plunger.

I took the spacer out and oil pressure dropped somewhat. I'm still at 80 cold idle, and 60-65 warm idle. Is this still too high?

I am going to get another oil pressure gauge to verify these readings though .. btw - my cam/dist gears still look great - no apparent wear or anything...

fuzz401
05-19-2006, 06:30 AM
80 cold 60 -65 warm not bad

jeepsr4ever
05-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Someone is selling a high pressur eoil pump kit on ebay that uses one of these spacers. I would take that pupper out.

Bulltear Ad