PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure bypass

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FUBAR
05-31-2006, 06:51 PM
I've got a 304 out of a 78 or 79 CJ. Long story short I'm replacing the oil pump gears. The Melling kit comes with a steel nipple/plunger and spring that i assume to be the bypass. When I took the filter adaptor off there was/is no bypass in it. I've tried the nipple/plunger in the only holes of the cover and adaptor that it could fit in but it won't fit. Very close, but the holes are too small.

SO...can anyone tell me:
1. Do I even need the bypass?
2. If I do need it, where the heck does it go?

Background: My oil pressure was running 50-60 on the way to the store. I started it up to go home and it was about 0-3. I tried a mechanical gauge with the same readings in my garage. I took off the cover and the gears felt "loose" in it so I bought a new one. I've also been going through cam gears like there's no end in sight, which I'm wondering if the oil pump wasn't bouncing my dist around.

tufcj
05-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, you do need it. It's not a filter bypass, but a pressure relief valve. The symtoms you describe could be the pressure relief stuck open. There's a large nut on the back side of the filter adapter. The spring and plunger are under it. Be sure to clean out the passage very well to remove any varnish (I use carb cleaner). You might want to go to the e-store here on Bulltear and get a new filter housing without the filter bypass. The filter bypass is the little circular piece held by the same tube that holds the filter. That you don't need. When it opens, you let unfiltered oil back into the motor.

Bob
tufcj

FUBAR
05-31-2006, 08:29 PM
thank you very much for the responce. i appreciate it. :t:

Bulltear Ad