PDA

View Full Version : Coil Question?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
1993 Grand Cherokee 4.0

I have found that the coil gets to hot mounted on the block & after the engine heats up it takes longer to fire. When I just touch the key (cold) & fires right up.

Coil is three weeks old.

I was going to move the coil (to the extent of the electronic wire hook up) somewhere away from the block but.........

*Here's my question: Does the coil have to be grounded against the block?

I noticed how it bolt on (the block) & the metal conductor/field going through the coil & just wondering if I should move it.

Thanks,
Jim

boman40
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Are you sure that you don't have a fuel problem to, 93 fuel pumps go out about every 80 to 90 thousand miles, check fuel pressure to make sure it is over 40 psi, if is at 40, get ready to change. Also you throttle position sensor could be bad or idle motor. to check throttle position sensor when it starts acting up, unplug it and see if you idle comes back, Idler motor to check by removing it from throttle body and see if you can turn it, make sure you put back to where you found it adjusted to or shorter. If either of these two are bad, also buy throttle body gasket, remove throttle body and clean while you have it apart.

runnamuck
07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
1st, yes the coil needs to be grounded. as stated above, check your f.p. and how fast it gets there. iirc 93 is a returnless fuel system. gas in rail gets hot while sitting, engine hot and pushs back to the tank. takes it a min. to get back to normal.

rollbar
07-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Well I found that the wires where the plug going into the coil were bad, insulation was off & the wires were arching.

Thanks,
RollBar

Bulltear Ad