PDA

View Full Version : oil dipstick and tube

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

bulletproofcj7
06-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Hello all! I can't remember if i have ever posted here but i have read alot of the threads, what a great resource!
I have a cj7 with a 304 and the dipstick tube broke off flush with the block so i need a new tube does anyone know where i can find one? preferably something a little more trick than stock. ive checked quadratec and 4x4 hardware with no luck.
Thanks
-Jason

tufcj
06-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately there is nothing but a stock replacement, unless you can find the dipstick out of an IH AMC 401. Tubes and dipsticks were still available from Jeep dealers last time I checked, and they're always for sale on ebay. Be sure to get the valve cover bracket or you'll be doing it again in a short while.

Bad news is you'll probably have to remove the pan to get the stub of the old tube out. Replace the pan first, then insert the new tube with the dipstick in it so you're sure it indexes into the hole in the oil pan baffle correctly.

Bob
tufcj

donwag
06-22-2006, 07:06 PM
There is one source that is just "a little more trick" than stock. Try www.performanceamericanstyle.com. They have a stock tube cut in half with brass fittings so you can remove the part just above the block easily to install headers and then reinstall after. I have used it and it works very well. Easier to install than the stock unit.

I have not seen a Lokar style tube for the AMC. Probably could fab one, but you would have to use the cut the tube in half technique, use the bottom half, and then make sure you have the correct length.

bulletproofcj7
06-24-2006, 07:46 AM
thanks guys. I found one on 4wd hardware's website that was not in the catolog.
that link diddnt work for me but im curious about that mod.

donwag
06-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Sorry for the bad link. Try this one: http://www.performanceamstyle.com./Cart/description.php?II=918&sessid=575fc5c820cb2d0f65f478d17fc7c79d&divi=amc

giz
06-24-2006, 12:29 PM
I welded a 1/4 fip flange in my pan then used a 90 deg 1/4 mip to 3/8 inverted flare fitting to connect a piece of 3/8 steel tubing too. I then changed the oil and cut the tube off until it read correct on one of the replacement sticks for a chevy works real well and it is now at the front of the engine. so easier to check

jeepsr4ever
06-26-2006, 07:24 PM
We have been working with a mfg on dipstick tubes. at last word they claimed to have a chrome dipstick tube and dipstick almost complete. It has been a half a year since then. We gave them the proper measurements but havent heard back. I dont know what the tory is but all current dipstick tubes do not fit AMC blocks. They are simply too large to push into the block without grinding.

Qs70AMX
07-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Is it going to hurt anything if the broken end just stays in the block? In other words, is it going to fall out?

Goose
07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
It shouldn't fall out.. (Or In either) sisnce there is a flared lip right at the block.. but it is going to leak some.. (push/splash oil out) dirt and dust in..

AMX69PHATTY
07-03-2006, 01:59 PM
I also have found Dipstick Tubes currently available from Jeep dealers required a small amount of grinding or fileing around the "interference bumps" that create a friction fit with the hole in the block in order to make them press in properly without destroying the Tube. I have taken apart 304's before that had the lower half of the "previous" dipstick tube laying in the bottom of the pan where it had fallen or been driven all the way in to facilitate installing a replacement without removing the pan.

What I do to a new one is like the other posts says. I first mark the new one piece tube about 2 inches or so above where it goes into the block. Cut it in half with a tubing cutter. Insert the two pieces into a 5/16 inch compression union. Measure the difference. Cut the appropriate amount off of one of the halves. Re-assemble the two halves using the compression union. The dipstick tube can now have the upper portion removed for header removal or whatever. A good heavy paint mark on the lower portion near the compression fitting on the side that matches the curved down part in the block allows proper orientation when installing it into the block without removing the pan. Getting the old broken off lower half is a royal pain, guess thats why I've foundem in the bottom of the pan before. In the past before fixin'em, I've put a sheet metal screw of just the right size with a little silicone on it into the broken off tube to seal it up until there was time to fix it. This is one of the worst little aggravations I've found with AMC V-8's. The post about putting fittings in the side of pan sound like a good idea, but would require pan removal and such. The sheetmetal screw and silicone solves the problem temporarily anyway. To check the oil level, put the dipstick in the old top half, remove the sheetmetal screw, insert the dipstick and tube, and check the oil level. :?

Bulltear Ad