PDA

View Full Version : AREA BFE-MOAB, UTAH

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MoPedal
06-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Thought you guys may be interested in the pictures I took last week in Moab. It was the Scrambler Owners Association National Event...We had a BLAST!

http://mopedal.photosite.com/2006MOAB/

jeepsr4ever
06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
nsane man!!

rollen dean montoya
06-29-2006, 03:10 PM
i agree with mc, y'all insane :lo1l: :lo1l: :lo1l:

tufcj
06-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Upper Helldorado is tough. We did it a few years ago, walk the entire length in 20 minutes, 4 hours to get 4 vehicles thru. The toll: a steering shaft, 1 broken driveshaft, 1 bent driveshaft, many dents, one burned out winch motor, and one smashed pinkie (mine), that took 9 stitches later that evening. We decided to finish the trail after I smashed it, since it would have taken as long to turn around and go back as it would have to finish.

I had heard they closed upper. Something about a land swap that made it provate property.

This pic was taken at the entry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/tufcj/Jeep/moab3.jpg

Another angle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/tufcj/Jeep/MOAB1.jpg

Bob
tufcj

MoPedal
06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Upper Helldorado is now part of "AREA BFE". The way I understand it a guy named Jeremy and 4 or 5 other friends bought the property to keep it open. Moab 4x4 Outpost I believe was also involved. No charge to ride on it now (even though private) but they do have the donation box for those willing to give to the upkeep. It is a tough trail...no doubt about it, especially when you get to the water fall there at the end but the REAL trail out there is Coyote Canyon. It's about 1/2 mile back north of upper helldorado. In my opinion it is about 2x harder than upper helldorado if you can imagine that. As the pictures showed, thats where I broke the steering knuckle and another broke a frt ring gear and pinion on a D-60.
For you extreme guys it's a must do if you get out there. All you got to remember is go to "AREA BFE". According to the guys at Moab 4x4 Outpost they say Coyote Canyon is the hardest "do-able trail" at Moab. There is another trail called "Black Flag" that nobody (including those guys even with tube chassis) have made it through yet without breaking. I guess they consider it undo-able but somebody will conquer it.

runnamuck
06-30-2006, 04:05 PM
finally had time to check out the pics. nice work man. i gotta get out there. broken kunkle, sucks man. i know yall had fun.

MoPedal
06-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Actually, replacing the knuckle on a mog 404 isn't too bad...4 bolts on inner side and 8 bolts on outer side, all easy to get too. Biggest problem was I didn't have an extra one with me. My bud who broke the ring & pinion was feeling sorry for me knowing I for sure would have to "overnight" one from somewhere since theres not many mogs out there. Fortunately, I found one right there in Moab and I was back on the trails the next day. I had broken a portal before and had an extra one of those but you don't normally hear of a knuckle breaking...I've now got a spare on order.

runnamuck
07-02-2006, 10:17 PM
lack of availibilty of parts quickly is about the only draw back to mogs. that's the first kunkle i've even heard about breaking. anyway murphy's law right. :razz:

MoPedal
07-03-2006, 09:10 PM
lack of availibilty of parts quickly is about the only draw back to mogs. that's the first kunkle I've even heard about breaking. anyway murphy's law right. :razz:
Naaa....I don't think I can blame Murphy with this one! I think I was asking too much of it. If you noticed in the pictures, all 5800lbs was on that rear wheel plus another couple 1000lbs of shock pressure....just sheered the ball joint right into. Rear steer is great 99% of the time but I can't see where it is as strong in those situations as a straight rear axle...still worth it though especially at 128", it's a must!

Bulltear Ad