PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump Question?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

KJMac
07-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Do most of you run Electric pumps on your jeeps that have some performance work done to the motor? I have heard the Mechanical pumps that the local parts stores sell are junk, Is this true? I ahve been looking at the Carter performance pumps that Summit sells. what do you think of those mechanical pumps? Should I run a Carter electric pump?
I'm putting in a 360 with a 270 comp cam, Edel. performer manifold with a mildly modified Q-Jet and fenderwell headers. It seems to lay down a little in 4th gear with the 304 in it?
Any help would be great!!!!
Thanks

tufcj
07-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I ran a Carter mechanical fuel pump on my CJ until I went to fuel injection. It was definitely better than the factory replacement, and not that much more expensive (around $50 from Summit I think). I have the same pump on my 69 390 right now (around 425 HP).

I found the factory pump on my CJ had degraded to where it was only supplying around 4 PSI. The new mechanical pump perked it right back up.

If you run electric, also add a pressure gauge and regulator up near the carb. Most carbs like 6-7 PSI, and if you off-road, lowering it a bit can help if you have flooding problems.

What gear are you running in the axles and what size tires? Your "laying down" problem could just be gearing.

Bob
tufcj

KJMac
07-10-2006, 01:37 PM
I know the 304 is a turd but I'm running 4.10's and 33-12.5 bridgestone Dueler H/P.

Bulltear Ad