PDA

View Full Version : Paint options

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

1980_Cj7
07-13-2006, 04:39 AM
What is the best types of paints to use for my newly machined and built 401. I am going to do the block red, heads black, and leave the intake and aluminum accessories silver. I will be using some engine enamel for the painted parts, but I like the look of the intake and other accesories unpainted. From what I understand they will not stay nice looking for long. Can I just use so sort of clear coat or should I just paint them also? Let me know what has worked well for you.

BREK
07-13-2006, 09:29 AM
I would highly suggest that you do not clear coat the intake as I have done that and after a very short time the intake turns yellow #-o as the clear gets melted

tufcj
07-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I've had very good results with laquer based paints, it doesn't need to be high temp. Make sure the block and heads are VERY clean. I spray them down with brake cleaner, then wash with a scrub brush and soapy water (dishwashing detergent like DAWN). Let it dry a day before painting.

Bob
tufcj

1980_Cj7
07-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Ok, so does anyone have a picture of what my intake and aluminum accessories is going to look like after some time and weather.

runnamuck
07-13-2006, 02:23 PM
look under the hood of your daily driver. i'm pretty sure there is some unpainted almunium on it somewhere. :mrgreen:

BREK
07-13-2006, 02:25 PM
here's what I plan on doing. have all the fender braces,grille braces, my new valve covers, and intake all jet hot coated :-| will that look good or not?

runnamuck
07-13-2006, 02:34 PM
why jet hot or any ceramic based paint on those? they don't really need that high temp of a paint. plain powder coating should be fine.

BREK
07-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a guy that will do this very cheap for me, also I'm doing that so everything will be a perfect color match

Bulltear Ad