PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME ENERGY 262H

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

navycpo
07-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Thinking about using this in my 360 I'm having built for my CJ. I did a search and found a couple of hits but none with my setup. Hate asking another cam question but I can't get it out of my mind, worried its too much cam for my motor.

cam spec
advertised 050 valve lift lsa
262 270 218 224 .493 .500 110

Stock compresion
Edelbrock 650 carb
Edelbrock intake
HEI Dist.
Standard 4 speed
4:56 gears, 35in tires
main use is back and forth to work and muddin'

If I don't go with this the Edelbrock 2132 is second on my list, from what I have read on here I don't trust summit cams. Thanks in advance for ya'lls help. Great forum for AMC info.

The PIG Smith
07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Welcome! :mrgreen:
You may want to move this question/posting to the Technical Side: Engine Forum (http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3)

This forum is for AMC Hot Rods and not Jeeps.

Now, I will do my best to answer your question
From my perspective, as a Full Sized Jeep owner, 262 is not that radical of a cam.
I've been studying this topic for some time now, and not this year, but maybe next, I will do a cam swap on my J20 3/4 ton pickup.
Both my J20 and my Wagoneer have 360 V8.

My research has discovered that a cam between 260 and 270 is okay for low end grunt, torque and towing...with not much on the upper end.
This what a person wants for a Jeep that is a daily driver, trail rig, tow rig, some light rock crawling.
Mud bogs and sand drags will require lots of speed, which means a cam that performs well in the upper RPM range.

I am a virtual newbie as this topic of Cam Selection, but I thought I would share what I understand.

Second Comment: A 360 is stock form is a LOT of motor for a CJ.

I was just given a NP208 transfercase that came outta of a early YJ.
This YJ had a complete Wagoneer drive installed under the hood: a strong 360, TF727 automatic tranny and a NP208 transfercase.
The PO that performed all this work, did a fourwheel burnout and broke BOTH the rear Dana35 axle and the front Dana30 axle!
Okay, while a Dana35 and Dana30 are not ultra strong axles, it still takes some UMMMMFFFF to break both at the same time!

Additionally, another tale I was told about, a fellow who had an radically crazy built 304 V8 in a CJ, tried to drag race a Camaro.
While he had the holeshot, the locker kicked in, spun the CJ around and the owner rolled it in a ditch.
There was no question, the CJ was more machine than the Camaro could handle, but Jeeps are not meant to be Boulevard Bruisers.

So, be careful, as you could very well build more machine and than any one person can handle.
But when you do, have fun and come take me for a ride!

jeepsr4ever
07-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes the 262 is a mid range camshaft that works well with performer and is just about perfect for a R4B intake in a 360. Good cam with solid lows.

navycpo
07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I tell the shop to go with the EX262. I have a Dana 60 rear end so I feel my T170 trany or stock drive shaft is going to be my soft spot. I'm sure this is the first of several questions I'll have on this build so thanks again.

Bulltear Ad