PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bellhousing for Allison A1000 transmission

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

The PIG Smith
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
My suggestion for a new product idea would be to build a custom bellhousing for the Allison A1000 transmission that would fit on the back of a AMC block.

Allison bellhousing are a bolt on part and in integral as in conventional automatic transmissions

This bellhousing would also need to accept the standard Ford style starter found on AMC engines

The next thing would be to offer a turn key kit, with the bellhousing, flexplate modified to fit a the torque converter, stand alone computer,
new or modified rear crossmember and all the instructions.

While this may not be a cheap project for a FSJ Jeep owner, I think there would be enough buyers to a least think about.

Next product line would be for IH Scouts.
I'm sure they would love a kit like this as well!

http://z.about.com/d/alternativefuels/1/7/2/1/-/-/07_Allison_transmission.jpg

jeepsr4ever
07-25-2006, 12:36 PM
The Allison pictured is one adapted to Chevy blocks. You can run a chevy adaptor and possibly the chevy flywheel seeing as some had the same tooth count as AMC. The problems you will run into are adapting the gap for the torque load. It can be done...

The PIG Smith
07-25-2006, 05:06 PM
I understand a person could use a Chevy to AMC adapter plate to make this combo work.

BUT, 'my' problem is, those simple plates are pricey.
While I have no technical reason to feel this way, my opinion is If I'm gonna spend some $$$, then I would like a better solution.
I am a perfectionist by nature, and an adapter is not an perfect solution.
Okay, I accept I am weird in this way.

Okay, getting beyond the physical mounting if this unit, I did not understand your comment about the Gap and the Torque Load.

Could you explain what this is and how this would be a problem?

Are you suggesting that a Hot 360/401 AMC could not power this monster?
..or A1000 would have such a parasitic drain as to make this combo feasible?
My reasoning is based on the ~40HP parasitic drain a TH400 creates.

jeepsr4ever
07-25-2006, 05:17 PM
The power isnt the problem its the length of the adaptor sleeves for the torque converter. I see the converter laying far into the bellhousing.

KEV
07-25-2006, 05:26 PM
The greater the distance between the head of the bolt and the threaded hole it's going in the greater chance for the big bang thing happening. This is why you don't see 6" body lift kits. If you were to have a ful circle ring bolted to the converter that was also drilled and taped to your AMC flywheel spec that would be the way to go.

The PIG Smith
07-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Okay, I understand.

So, this is yet another point to have a custom bellhousing.
A custom bellhousing would bring the face of the TC closer to the Flexplate.
Short TC Bolts!

As a follow-up, am I crazy for thinking of something like this?

KEV
07-25-2006, 06:25 PM
:idea: This might be how you do this. You get lucky and the alinement pins and the bolts at the 3:00 and 9:00 position are the same as the AMC ones, section in the AMC part on the top then worry about the flywheel to TC clearance.

jeepsr4ever
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Kev's a smart cookie...I wonder when he is going to bring beer to the shop for R&R

KEV
07-26-2006, 05:55 AM
This is what happens when you have a bunch of parts lying around that would make a really cool drivetrain. Or a whole rig if ya know what I mean.

HRST390
11-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Somebody point me in the direction that I can buy that Allison tranny to bolt to the back of my dodge cummins :sa: =D>

etjeep
02-01-2007, 11:02 AM
My buddy has a couple that can be had for cheap in NC.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17773&highlight=allison

SomeHumanBeing
02-11-2007, 01:56 AM
I gotta say, if you could make a kit with stand alone computer and bellhousing to bolt that 6-spd auto in my FSJ, I'd consider another re-fi on my house!
:t:

Bulltear Ad