PDA

View Full Version : 79 CJ Steering Issue

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JMSII
08-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Ok guys, I got a good one.

When I am cruising down the highway and I step on the gas my 79 CJ seems to pull to the right. When I let off the gas it pulls back to the left. This even happens with light throttle application.

What do you think? Broken trans mount? Engine mounts? Problem with frame?

It's a 79 CJ7 with a built 401/Turbo 400/Q-Trac.

Thanks!

tufcj
08-19-2006, 03:40 PM
First thing to check is the rear springs. The centering pin is probably sheared and the u-bolts loose enough to let the axle slide front/back a bit. It happened to me on a Toyota truck I had. It could also be worn bushings in the front end of the rear springs.

Bob
tufcj

81cj
08-19-2006, 09:53 PM
I have the same problem with my 79. I have new RE springs all around I rechecked the pins and all bushings front and rear. new motor mounts and trans mounts and still have that sideways shift. 111!!! I'm running a 401 with 488 gears and it's almost dangerous if you let off and get back on it in a corner. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

tufcj
08-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Locker in the rear? Unequal tire diameter or pressure can cause a shift if you have a locker. If it's open, lift and spin one tire to see that the spiders aren't damaged.

Bob
tufcj

Lifted79CJ7
08-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Check your steering shaft. I had a 79 with the same problem (304/TH400/QTrac). Grab the shaft with your hand and check for slop. Also, your steering box might be worn out - you can tighten it up with the bolt ontop of the box.....

Patf10
08-20-2006, 06:09 PM
could be frame twist. my cj does it and i can see the twist. probably get it especially with a 401. how bad is it pulling?

81cj
08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I do have a detroit locker in the rear. How doe's that cause the shift ???

JMSII
08-21-2006, 11:20 AM
It's very noticable, even around 45 -50 mph. Even worse at 70 or so...

tufcj
08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
When you're going straight, power is applied to both axles equally by the locker. If the tires aren't the same diameter, either by inflation or manufacturing differences, they won't pull in a straight line. Think of it as trying to roll a cone in a straight line. When power is removed, the locker will release one axle, then grab again as it goes into coast.

1st, check pressure, make sure the tires are within 1 PSI of each other. If it still pulls with equal inflation, check the diameter by pulling a cord around each tire and measuring. Inflate or deflate one tire until the diameters match and try again. You can also try rotating one tire front/back until a better match is found.

I had a terrible problem with this on one trip. I also have a Detroit. I tore the sidewall on a rear 35" BFG with about 20K miles (1/2 worn). I replaced it with a brand new spare (also a 35, but unworn). Got on the street to drive home and the pull was terrible. I finally had to swap one of the worn fronts to the rear, and put the new tire on the front.

Bob
tufcj

Goose
08-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Ummm Guys..Dont spend a lot of money trying to track this down..cause every V-8 powered CJ 5 I have ever seen does this.whether it's frame twist or spring compression, or both I don't know for sure but I know it starts with torque, and the more of it you have the worse it gets. It is called "Torque steer"

Some of the older jeeps with the multi leaf packs had a couple extra leafs in right rear pack to help with it.. But this is basically why you see a lot of 5's with V-8's and 400 horse out there for sale.. the word "Shagnastie" was invented to describe fuel altered's and v-8 jeeps.. If you think about it all the things tha make a 5 good off road also make it evil handling on road.. a flexible frame, short wheel base, Quick steering. and no sway bars.. I have had a lot of V-8 CJ5's over the years and in bone stock unlifted little tire condition they are pretty spooky at 70 mph. lifted with 33's a locker and a big honkin motor they are darn near undrivable.
But as we all know you dont get something for nothing.. better off road worse on road..hope ya find a compromise you can live with.

JMSII
08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, I finally got my fat ass under the Jeep and found that the U-Bolts did indeed need tightening. As a matter of fact, the drivers side bolts took about 3 turns each! The passenger side was loose too.

There was a noticable improvement - the problem is still there, but it's one hell of a lot better, thanks guys!

Bulltear Ad