PDA

View Full Version : no oil getting to my rockers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

caveman
09-27-2006, 07:16 AM
I recently bought a rebuilt 360, not sure what year, and installed it in my Jeep. Before installing the motor, I replaced the valve covers and noticed that the pushrods/rockers were coated with what looked like white grease, which I took for assembly lube. I knew the engine had sat a while (turned out to be 5 years I just found out) and had never been started, so I took an old distributor and drill, and primed the thing before starting. Once the engine started it ran very well but within a few minutes the oil pressure dropped to zero. What I think I discovered is, that whatever lube was on the rockers, jelled and clogged up the filter, as I had to change it 2 more times. I finally changed the oil and filter again and everything seemed normal, but after about 25 miles the rockers started rattling real loud, so I pulled the valve cover on the drivers side and started the engine but no oil came out of the pushrod. I could see evidence that oil had covered it at one time, but had stopped. I blew compressed air through the pushrods and as far as I can tell they are open. From the very first start, the oil pressure has been a steady 20 PSI. I think it reads low due to a distributor gear oil sprayer mod that was done, but not sure. I took off the oil filter and when the oil pump is running, oil shoots out all over the place, so I don't think pressure is the problem. One other note is that this engine had an oil bypass upgrade, whatever that is, I'm still not sure. I know this is long winded, but I hate incomplete descriptions myself, so I try to tell it up front.
What I'm wondering is, if say, white grease was used instead of assembly lube, and it was also used to pack the oil pump for priming, could this have clogged a passage up? If so, is there anything I could try before tearing into this engine?
If anyone has the distributor mod, did it cause the oil pressure to read lower?

jeepsr4ever
09-27-2006, 08:44 AM
I am willing to bet that your lifters are gummed and the oil filter bypass is stuck open. You really need to run some heavy detergent oil in that motor and might be replacing the lifters and the oil filter adaptor. You can still save the motor!

The pressure shouldnt change from the dizzy mod but I would start at the bottom and check out the oil pump clearances. Looks like some investigative work must be done. :idea:

caveman
09-29-2006, 07:26 AM
A good start. Thanks.
I had time last night to remove the filter. The filter bypass was not sutck open, but when compared to an old one I had lying around it seemed a little easier to push in. Wrong spring or spring rate maybe?
Another question I had was, the oil pick up tube connects thru the block into the timing cover and eventually to the filter. According to an old Jeep manual I have it shows the unfiltered oil entering the filter thru the middle filter hole and the filtered oil going to the engine thru the small squarish hole in the filter cover. I blew compressed air into both holes, and I could hear bubling in the oil sump thru the squarish hole not the center round hole, which would be backwards of what I would expect, if the book is correct. This sound correct?
I want to eliminate the easy stuff before I pull the oil pump cover.
If my next step is to remove the pump cover do you provide instructions with your gasget set or rebuild kits, on how to set it up?

Bulltear Ad