PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure after sitting overnight in cold

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pb
09-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Can't quite figure this out. I drove the Jeep yesterday (2+ year old rebuilt 360 with , new timing cover, new pump and plunger spring ~9K on all of it) Oil pressure was 30-35 at 60-75 mph and dropped down to 10-20 at idle. Parked it last night, woke up this morning and started it with no oil pressure. Let it run for a couple of minutes and still no pressure on electric gauge. It did this last year, but I changed the filter, oil, plunger & spring and op sender and it seemed to solve it last year (or it got warmer I don't remember) Any ideas? Is something getting in the oil to sludge it up or freeze it? It is 10w-30 Mobil 1.

Also, my hot oil pressure keeps dropping. Does that mean worn rod bearings? :smile: :shock:

Thanks in advance...I think

FuzzFace2
09-29-2006, 07:44 AM
First I would dump the electric oil gauge and get a good mechanical one.
I would worry with 30-35 psi @ 60-75 mph then again your reading from a not so good gauge.
You said you “Let it run for a couple of minutes and still no pressure on electric gauge.” Did you hear lifter noise or heavy knocking? If not it may be the gauge.
Sludge with Mobil 1 I though it was to stop that? And if some thing got in the oil pull dip stick and look. I say do the first line and get back to us.
Dave ----

jeepsr4ever
09-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Check to see if the wire fell off the sending unit.

pb
09-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Wire is still on the sender - good connection there. Oil topped off and looked fine yesterday. There is some lifter noise (also a exhaust leak) and possibly a knock, but my flexplate is also due to be changed I believe too. I didn't have much time to check this morning before work.

I am going to put a tee in and run a mechanical gauge this weekend.

ironman_gq
09-29-2006, 08:52 AM
pressure bypass might have stuck open causing no pressure

Bulltear Ad