PDA

View Full Version : oil mods for revving up to 5800 RPMs

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pablorg
10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi,

Which oiling modification(s) do you guys recommend for revving an AMC 360 to ~5800 RPMs?

1) oil line in the lifter valley
2) bigger oil pan
3) both mods

Thanks a lot for your help.

jeepsr4ever
10-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Assuming the engine is together I would either run a 7qt pan or run a extra quart in the stock pan (6qts)

pablorg
10-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Assuming the engine is together I would either run a 7qt pan or run a extra quart in the stock pan (6qts)

I am planning on upgrading from my current cam which is an Edelbrock Performer Plus to a Comp Cams 270H or something similar.

I am not sure when this is going to happen, but WHEN it happens I wanna also take care of oiling upgrades.

Do you think I need BOTH upgrades in the oiling? Or just the 7 qt. pan?

Goose
10-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Hmmm Thats interesting.. I spin mine 5800 - 6000 pretty regularly.. and I havent done anything.. But as Matt says if the engine is together.. about the only mod you could do would be the bigger pan..(maybe upgrade the pump with one form here..)

tufcj
10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I had a 304 that I spun to 6500 regularly (mud bogs). Never had ANY oiling mods, never had an oil starvation related failure. Just make sure the pump is in good shape and you have good pressure. Mine held about 20 at idle and 50-55 above 2000 RPM.

That engine finally gave up when I ran too much advance, detonated, broke a piston and ovaled a cylinder. Didn't want to bore to .060, so I went to a 360.

Bob
tufcj

FuzzFace2
10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
My .02 bigger pan or cheat and add 1 qt more, but pan is a better way to go.
Check pump clearances and you should be go to go.
3 passes on my 360-6300rpm at the line, with ¬? qt extra in stock pan.
Dave ----

pablorg
10-03-2006, 03:38 PM
My .02 bigger pan or cheat and add 1 qt more, but pan is a better way to go.
Check pump clearances and you should be go to go.
3 passes on my 360-6300rpm at the line, with ¬? qt extra in stock pan.
Dave ----

Any risks in just adding the extra quart? :t:

FuzzFace2
10-03-2006, 03:55 PM
It could use up HP maybe bend crank because the crank is hitting the oil.
Think of it as you slapping top of water in a pool, it’s that sudden stop that does it.
Now the way I (read “I”) under stand the down fall of the AMC v8 oil system is at prolong high RPM the oil pump pumps oil to the top of the motor where it does not drain back fast enough (sucks oil pan dry) and where is the pressure drop going to hit first….the rear mains! Do you think a valley line will fix no oil in the pan?

That is why I only added ¬? qt, to cover my butt and not run pan dry but also not to have crank hit oil. Then again ¬º mile is not a prolong high RPM.
Again the way I see it and MY .02
Dave ----

jeepsr4ever
10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
John steirwalt on this forum ran a hornet drag car and ran a extra qt without any power loss or change in performance. He has the details.

FuzzFace2
10-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Again this is what I think
With out doing a hunt on here what RPM was he turning, the higher the RPM the more oil the pump will pump and we still have the same return flow rate from the top end so he may have needed that extra ¬? qt.
When you talk about lost HP how was this done, on a dyno with & with out the extra qt?
Now lets move on to the track and see what happens but how do we measure it?

A windage screen is to break up the wave of oil going up the back of the pan to the crank (remember the hand/pool/water thing?) but some does get thru and how bout a crank scraper for oil all to save HP right. We just don’t have a way to measure HP in the real world that I can think of.
This is all said to get people thinking and asking questions and to pick what they want to use. No I don’t know it all but don’t tell my wife ;)
Dave ----

jeepsr4ever
10-03-2006, 07:17 PM
John was on the track...I think he was running 8's...cant remember. John had 800hp and a good combo. He had a deep pan already IIRC

FuzzFace2
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I tried to do a search for John steirwalt posts but can’t get it to work
Man I can build computers for scratch but cant get the search to work how lame is that #-o #-o
Dave ----

jeepsr4ever
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Check the general chat area...John has a post about his party...maybe 2 or 3 pages in :?:

AMX69PHATTY
10-04-2006, 01:40 AM
There is a mathematical formula that uses your 1/4 mile SPEED and a Cars wieght,
while ignoring 1/4 mile times, to calculate Net Horspower at the rear wheels.

I got it out of an old Hot Rod Magazine a long time ago.
Optimum 1/4 Mile E.T. and Speed are linked to one another.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/SketchKT/Quarter+HorsePower+B.jpg

FuzzFace2
10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
“Approximate HP” is the word there! I do not know my cars HP (no wheel or motor dyno done) but do have ¼ mile times and I have found auto math sites on the internet and come up with all kinds of readings.
To many factors involved-tire spin, clutch/converter slip, head/tail wind, etc. to name a few
So it’s an “approximate HP” at best I would say.

I saw John’s post on the party (all 9 of them) nothing on his set up? Guess you had to be at the party!

Sorry to get off topic “oil mods for revving up to 5800 RPMs”
Will this be used in the Jeep and for racing?
Dave ----

AMX69PHATTY
10-04-2006, 06:27 PM
A few years back I had my car ran on a chassis dyno. It showed 277-282 HP at the tire.
Using the formula, 1/4 mile speed, & cars' wieght from the track scale, I got the same HP.
It's also a 360 .030 over, at that time, 850 DP, Torker, <9.0:1, 727, 3000 stall, 3.73 gear, 26" slicks,
and it was running around 12.9-13.0 @ 105-106 mph, 3250 lbs.
if I remeber correctly......
:-|
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/SketchKT/techdocs_files/AMXdyno.jpeg

FuzzFace2
10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
OK now I believe it might be able to be measured and come close.
I came up about the same HP as you got for my car and times on the track. don't think it will ever get to a dyno tho.
Dave ----

Ps: what did you do on last pull to jump up in HP?

AMX69PHATTY
10-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Raised the 2-3 shift point from 5000 rpm to 6000 rpm.
A shop Employee was thrashin' my car, customers not allowed to do pulls.
It was pretty wild standin' there beside it, hood up, motor balls to the wall.
Even the shop owner came out of the office to see what was screamin' like that.
Guess it sounded different than the bowties and blue ovals.
Torque Converter is B&M Super HoleShot 3000 Stall.
Printout only shows the pull through 3rd gear.
I was kinda disappointed in what I got after paying for it.
Expected a printout from idle showing it going through the gears.
But I figured it beats a blank.

Bulltear Ad