PDA

View Full Version : Lifting a XJ

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
10-03-2006, 08:37 AM
My boss here wants to lift his XJ... I have a couple questions... with say 3" of lift.. you dont need to do the Slip yoke eliminator or drop the t-case do ya?? (I am going to end up doing this lift... and I really don't want to be unemployed.)Black mountain kits from collins bros ok??

tufcj
10-03-2006, 10:55 AM
You can never tell on an XJ. You should be safe, but I've heard of people with u-joint vibes with as little a 2" of lift. I have a friend with 5" of lift on an Xj w/o a slip eliminator. Make sure you include the t-case drop in case of vibes.

One trick is to use YJ (Wrangler) driveshaft yokes, which have more clearance than the XJ. Check the yoke clearances at full droop even with 3", you may need to clearance a bit with a die grinder.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
10-03-2006, 06:07 PM
The SYE isn't bad, I did it in my shop in under 4 hours to a YJ (NP231). Just remember to match the shift yoke shaft to the detent. Mine was too long after the conversion so I had to cut off almost an inch of the shaft, and it's still hard to shift into 4WD 'cause it hits th4e cap.

pyagid
10-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Like Bob said, for some reason all XJ's are different. I rarely heard of anyone needing an SYE due to vibes under 4"s but have heard it happen.

I have 4.5" in my XJ with a rustys off road 1" drop cross member and have no vibes at all. its a 4.0 with automatic set up.

Most likely if there are vibes, you will be able to get away with just a t-case drop. As far as brands, I have installed a bunch of rustys offroad lifts all worked really well. Don't think you could beat it for the price. I have a Rubicon express lift in my XJ now and love it but it is more pricey.

Those would be my top 2 recommendations though

-Paul

Goose
10-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys..I am really looking forward to this (so I can find out how it will work out on mine..)

Mudrat
10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Daughters YJ still has a vibe issue about 50 MPH even AFTER the SYE, new Tom Woods CV shaft, a 1" tranny drop (engine and tranny both rebuilt) and new U-joints 111!!!

pyagid
10-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Daughters YJ still has a vibe issue about 50 MPH even AFTER the SYE, new Tom Woods CV shaft, a 1" tranny drop (engine and tranny both rebuilt) and new U-joints 111!!!

Sure its in the rear shaft? Drive it in front wheel drive only, remove the rear shaft completely and see if you still have the vibes?

if so, just stretch the wheelbase so you could get a longer shaft in the Jeep :lo1l:

Goose
10-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Well after chasing the driveline vibes in the J-10 for so long.. I found out the stub on the new retubed drive shaft was about 1.5 degrees out of true..

Mudrat
10-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Sure its in the rear shaft? Drive it in front wheel drive only, remove the rear shaft completely and see if you still have the vibes?

if so, just stretch the wheelbase so you could get a longer shaft in the Jeep :lo1l:
Don't even have the front shaft in right now!!!

And the stretch deal ... been there done that :shock: remember this?

http://members.cox.net/pa-adams/Posted%20online/Scrambler_1.jpg

An 85 Scrambler stretched 18" ??? Not one of my better ideas .... :wink:

76-cj7
11-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Do you have any more pictures of the stretched scrambler? That thing is sweet!

Mudrat
11-11-2006, 05:54 PM
This is what I have archived ...
Break-over was the pitts ... used the Warn winch a few times :oops:
http://members.cox.net/pa-adams/Posted%20online/Scrambler_1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/pa-adams/Posted%20online/Scrambler_2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/pa-adams/Posted%20online/Scrambler_3.jpg

How it started
http://members.cox.net/pa-adams/Posted%20online/The_stretch.jpg

76-cj7
11-11-2006, 08:26 PM
What did ya ever end up doing with it? sell it? fourwheel?

Mudrat
11-12-2006, 07:36 AM
What did ya ever end up doing with it? sell it? fourwheel?
It was my DD for a while and took it camping a few times, but traded it for some stuff, which was only partly delivered before the dude left town :smile:

Getting back to the ZJ, this one is listed on "Barnstormers" (aviation BBS) for some reason he sent this to my dad???

From..........: Drew <detectivedrew@fop.net>
Phone.........: 610-742-5784
City..........: Lancaster
State/Province: PA
Country.......: usa

Drew emailing from Lancaster PA.

I have an suv, jeep cherokee custom with over 25000 in receipts. It is street legal but is a professional rock crawler. Would you consider a trade for trade? It is a solid truck. Thanks

LT1 corvette engine and 4L60E trans, 35" bf goodrich krawlers on black rock krawler wheel's. custom 4 link long arm up front all aurora heim joint's. w/bilstein 7100 shocks. 9" housing, curie hp 3rd member ,arb and 4.88 gears. rear 9" detroit locker 4.88 gears. Interior roll cage , front arb w/9000K winch.rear bumper has spare tire carrier. Surco roof rack with off road light's. Agr steering box, new power steering pump. engine has only 50k on it. jeep has been stored for 2 years

Bulltear Ad