View Full Version : RollMaster RED Timing Set, Torr Brg, & Distributor Gear

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

AMX69PHATTY
10-04-2006, 06:05 PM
So what's the deal with the Rollmaster Red Label Billet Timing Chain Sets
with the 9 Keyway Crankshaft Sprocket and the Torrington Bearing Cam Sprocket,
and how does this Torrington Bearing work with, and/or affect,
the Distributor Gear(s) lubrication circuit and Oil Passage(s) ?
:-| :idea: :-|

jeepsr4ever
10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I believe they have a channel for the oil to reach the gear...I know this was an issue with the first AMC sets but I do believe they fixed the issue

fuzz401
10-05-2006, 05:39 AM
rollmaster w/ bearing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/104_0422.jpg

with out bearing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/104_0421.jpg

nice thing about rollmaster gears you dont have to worrie about the oil hole in the cam lining up with the cam gear there's feeds oil 360 deg around the cam gear
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/104_0418.jpg

82Waggy
10-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Since we are on the subject, anybody have a cam button solution?

Torrington bearing keeps the cam gear from riding on the block or rear plug, but I think we also need something to keep the cam from sliding forward into the timing cover.

Of the three AMC engines I've torn down, all were grinding into the cover. Of course, a tight timing chain would prevent this but why leave forward stress on it.

AMX69PHATTY
10-05-2006, 08:22 AM
In checking into the RollMaster Timing set, discovered a guy in Florida,
Nick Alfono - (847) 938-0864 & (262) 308-1302
that makes an AMC Cam Anti-Walk Kit that uses a front block face mounted plate,
and modified RollMaster Red Label Timing Set to adjust insatlled hieght.
His kit also includes the auxillary Distributor Gear External Oiling Tube.
I believe the price of his Cam Anti-Walk Kit is $259 + shipping.

So does the Torrington Bearing set-up consume Oil Volume
and scavange it from oil otherwise meant for the Distributor gears ?
I mean doesn't oil ooze out from around the Torrington Bearing O.D. ?

82Waggy
10-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't see where oil is prevented from "oozing" out the perimeter of the torrington bearing - probably more like being slung out.

Pressure drop in the engine should not be too great however as the feed rate out the front of the cam is regulated by the size of the feed hole in the cam. I don't think the cam/dizzy gears would be starved either so long as there is no blockage along the way - which I think has been the main problem with dizzy gears in the past.

No simple cam button out there? 250 bucks for an anti walk kit seems a bit out of reason when all that is needed is a small button at the front with the Rollmaster torrington set up.

jeep_man_401
10-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Couldn't MC make a new bolt and or washer for the front of the cam that has some sort of button and or ajustment on it for different covers?

It would seen like a fairly simple thing to make on a screw machine with some hex bar stock that could be hardened to bolt grade... :-|

Bulltear Ad