PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the next generation of oiling mods (HRC gears)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
10-05-2006, 12:16 AM
This is our "HRC" idler gear

This gear is equipped with hydro relief channels (HRC)

As you can see in pic 1 you will notice the small grooves in the idler oil pump gear. In pic 1 shows the beginning of the normal AMC oil pump rotation. AMC oil pumps turn counterclockwise (when facing the bottom of the gear) and bring the oil around the pump cavity. The gears come together and force the oil out the opening at the top of the pump cavity. Notice the circled area...this area will shrink when the gear spins

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/HRCgear1.jpg

Here we see in pic 2 the area has shrunk and this causes a tremendous amount of pressure between the gears. Hydro relief channels are taking effect now and pushing the extra pressure between the gears to the output side of the oil pump and relieving the tremendous pressure between the gears.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/HRCgear2.jpg

In pic 3 we see the next area above the first starting to shrink and building pressure. The area below is opening up and causing a small suction. Here we see the hydro relief channels doing their job once again relieving the tremendous pressure yet again from the other side.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/HRCgear3.jpg

This cycle starts over again with the idler gear side as shown in pic 1. These gears with HRC's cause less wear on the distributor gear and camshaft gear (which drives the oil pump) and less wear in the pump and on the gears caused by this pressure pushing and pulling the gears at different RPM's and throttle changes. These gears can also give 20% less wear in the pump cavity due to relieving the pressure between them. While not 100% of the pressure is relieved it is substantial.

The HRC's are not new to our shop. We have built helical high flow oil pump gears in the past that required opening the output in the timing cover. This relief was taken from that design and utilized on the stock gears using a CNC mill and tweaked in CAD. Although we feel our designed high flow oil pump gears arent the answer to over 99% of AMC oiling issues we believe that these hydro relief channels are long over due.

We have a couple sets of these in use and one set being sent to member Blowncj7. You can find these in our E-store shortly. Or we can provide you with the data if you have access to a CNC mill

:t:

Blown7
10-05-2006, 01:51 AM
MC your my hero :!:
Jeff

Goose
10-05-2006, 07:56 AM
More tech.. you da man! (By the way I'm putting you in for Maddens play by play job when he dies)

BREK
10-05-2006, 08:30 AM
what would you have to charge me for that setup in my still new nickel plated cover?

jeepsr4ever
10-05-2006, 09:02 AM
what would you have to charge me for that setup in my still new nickel plated cover?

$541,235,745,214,467,235.33

BREK
10-05-2006, 11:54 AM
pocket change man :mrgreen:

jeepsr4ever
10-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Brek I will need you to bring over your idler gear. These are hand fit gears in each Ni cover so they are unique to each cover. We can do your gear up right.

BREK
10-05-2006, 12:20 PM
How about I bring the whole cover in next monday when you come and pick up your balljoints :mrgreen:

jeepsr4ever
10-05-2006, 12:40 PM
HA, I will be up north fishing...hope to get my sturgeon this year. Will return on wednesday so maybe thursday for a hook up.

BREK
10-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Good luck on the fishing excursion, post up some pics when ya get back

Bulltear Ad