PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick on 390???

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

halflifesw
10-11-2006, 12:59 PM
I had a post earlier about two things, one being if there is supposed to be a dipstick on a 390. The hole where it should go is blocked. Any help?

tufcj
10-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Someone probably broke the tube off, and plugged it to stop the leak. The only place for the dipstick is that hole in the block.

You'll probably have to remove the pan and tap the stub of the tube out from the inside. I've had luck with a sheet metal screw and a slide hammer. Others use a coathanger bent in a tight hook with a slide hammer.

New tubes are available here, on ebay, and at dealers. They do need to be ground down slightly where they swedge into the block.

Bob
tufcj

tarior
10-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Just take a long rod and drive the broken off piece through. It can lay in the oilpan and not hurt anything. You pretty much have to pull the motor to get the oil pan off.

halflifesw
10-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Just take a long rod and drive the broken off piece through. It can lay in the oilpan and not hurt anything. You pretty much have to pull the motor to get the oil pan off.

The hole is actually plugged with something that looks ligit. I have the tub off so it's a rolling chassis. Think this makes things easier? I probably won't have time to fool around with it until spring.

tufcj
10-14-2006, 04:39 PM
If it's in a CJ or wagoneer, you can get the pan off without pulling the motor. You may have to loosen one motor mount from the block, but I've done it.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad