PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S THE STRAIGHT DEAL ON THE CAM WALK SITUATION?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JERSEYJOE
10-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I have been screwing with AMC V8's since I bought my first AMX in 1975.

Every one that I have taken apart has had the same cam walk problem. I see that the bolt retaining the cam gear moves forward and grinds into the timing cover. Not too bad but bad enought to make shreads of aluminum. It is also apparent that the timing chain holds the cam back to some extend due to it's side load stiffness when new, but as the chain wears and flexes, the cam walks. I also think that stock and mild hydraulics seem to be less effected that HP profile cams with increase spring load. I see that Nick Alfano makes a cam walk plate sold on EBAY.
Anyone had any experience with this product, or is there something better.

cjmike67
10-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Im in the same boat as my new motor does have a solid roller lifter installed in it!Anyword there MC???Can you build?

jeepsr4ever
10-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Cam walk on a AMC V8 is usually a worn out set of lifters. Do you need a anti walk cam kit? Yes if your running roller lifters...no if your not.

Holeshot
10-19-2006, 04:34 AM
There is a dual-roller anti-walk timing set available for around $200 & I would suggest it for all AM V8s. MadDog sells the Alfano set on ebay or you can eliminate the middle man & get them from Nick. They work fine but do wear out & need replaced at regular intervals.

For around $375 you can get the Milodon gear drive, which should last much longer, making the chain drive obsolete. Just make sure the gear drive will oil correctly as most of them were drilled & channeled incorectly for oiling. An easy fix.

JERSEYJOE
10-19-2006, 04:55 AM
JEEPS4EVER raises a good point. I read somewhere that hydraulic lifters are designed to keep the cam walk in check and I assume that the rollers are not

Bulltear Ad