PDA

View Full Version : Pipe plugs in block.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

76-cj7
10-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Its been a few months since i've tore my 304 apart and i jus got it back from the machince shop and am in the assembly process right now and i cant figure out them damn pipe plugs. I didnt remove them before i sent it to the shop so it never stuck in my mind to remeber how many and the locations. My real question is how many should there be and where do they go? In the freeze plug set i have it only came with 4 plugs but i see 2 in the front behind the timing gear, two in the lifter gallery, and two in the back of the block....so i figure i'll need 6??? :-| This will be my first AMC build and i have already purchased the front oil pump housing from BullTear, a Davis Unified Ignition distributor and all the basic goodies. Ive built a few SBC but im new to AMC. Oh yea does anybody have any feedback on a 8601 Summit cam? I've heard the good and the bad about them but i knew the price seemed to good to be true. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Im 18 and would like to stay AMC powered and sway away from chevy......it just seems to easy to convert to a chevy, hell with them. :mrgreen:

AMX69PHATTY
10-18-2006, 04:29 AM
Yeah, there's (6) 3/8 pipe plugs, 2 front, 2 rear, 2 in front valley.
Stock ones have square sockets instead of hex, not that it matters.
Square socket ones available from Au-Ve-Co & Doorman.

Summit cam, check journal sizes, oil relief holes in rear journal,
and groove and distrib gear oil hole in front journal.
Distributor and Cam gear are a "touchy" area.
Make sure cam snout Bolt isn't too long, bottoms out before pulling down,
and that they heavy flat washer is flat and seals well against the dist gear face.
Don't forget the crank oil slinger in front of the crank sprocket.
Threads here seem to suggest quality issues have existed before.
Seesm one talked about the cam breaking in half.
Guess you searched "Summit cam" in this forum.

New Con Rod bearings lack the Oil Squirter Notches.
Opinions vary on if they're needed or not.
If ya want'em in there, you'll have to notch'em yorself.

There's enough INFO and horror stories here to scare a person.
Guess that's appropriate since it's almost Halloween.
Trick or Treat ...........

I've had good luck with AMC Motors.
Have ya checked out www.AMCFORUMS.COM ?

Someone here said AMC stopped using them, but I'd be sure and install
the little plastic button in the bottom of the oil pick-up tube
that prevents it from sucking up against the pan.

76-cj7
10-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Hell yea man, Thanks for the input! Im going to look my cam over really good before i install it. But as far as that plastic button goes i have an 8 qrt. oil pan and pickup from milodon so i think it's all good on that subject but im still going to check the clearance on it. I also have that book that BJ has published, "BJ builds an AMC". So far its worth every penny. :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad