PDA

View Full Version : Harland-Sharpe Roller Rockers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

76-cj7
10-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Ok, i've got a set of Harland-Sharpe's sittin on a set of AMC heads in my garage and would like to include them in my current build. But heres the catch. The guy before me who "hap-hazardly" assembled this motor put the studs and all that into that set of heads and screwed everything up and do i mean screw it up, but thankfully he didn't venture his screwed up head into the rockers themselves which are still good. I was wondering what parts i would need to accumulate in order to put these on my motor and if any machince work would be needed to install them or if its even worth the trouble? Any input would be really appreciated!

jeepsr4ever
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
If they are true AMC rockers they will have a silver chamfer on the bottom of the rocker. If you have 73-91 heads you will need to take off around .250 off the bosses and run guideplates. You will also have to tap the heads to the stud size the rockers were built for either 3/8 or 7/16

76-cj7
10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
They are the newer style heads and i believe they are the 3/8. But the thing im really getting at is the heads are already on the motor and i really dont feel like buying new head gaskets :roll: I was wondering if it would be worth it to yank em apart and have them machined? Or if i should just leave it alone since i dont have any problems.

fifesjeep
10-27-2006, 09:39 AM
If they're not the bolt-on type then you have to pull the heads off and have the stud boses milled to compensate for the thickness of the stud nut and the guide... and if you go with the 7/16" stud you'll have to have the holes drilled and tapped and chances are you'll hit the water jacket in a few... Which is no problem (others will disagree but they tend to hit the Jackets in strip/drag cars... for obvious reasons.. this also depends on the heads and casting etc). If you/they hit the Jackets you can use Black Permatex and liberally coat the threads of the studs and then apply a thin layer on top of the stud boses tighten down and wipe clean.. let sit about 24hrs or more in a normal temp room and you won't have any problems etc... My 360 heads were milled .250" etc etc.. and that's what we did.. No problems etc...
If you don't want to pull the heads and have them machined then sell those rollers and the money received from them drop towards a set of Bolt-on rollers... IMO Harland Sharp is my only choice.. Good quality with no problems.. (My experiences with them)...

76-cj7
10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Ok, mine are the stud type which would need machined. Im kinda leaning twords the bolt on type but $499.95 from Summit is a lil bit out of my price range at this time. As far as the other ones if anybody wants them make me an offer since im over this motor sitting in pieces in my garage for over a year now....I just want my Jeep to finally run! I'll most likly end up buying the bolt on ones but would they really be needed? The motor isn't going to be a crazy beast, just something mild to get me around as an everyday driver.

76-cj7
10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
And the ones that Bulltear sells are stud type?? or bolt on??

jeepsr4ever
10-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Stud

76-cj7
10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
But the question im getting at is would it be worth the 500 bucks?

jeepsr4ever
10-27-2006, 07:53 PM
No, not to me if I was in that situation.

76-cj7
10-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Sweet....now i don't feel so pressured to buy them, but does anybody want a set of stud type 1.6 ratio Harland-Sharps? Make an offer.....

Bulltear Ad