PDA

View Full Version : What would cause the crank case oil to be diluted with gas

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

fifesjeep
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
I checked my oil (Which I tend to do on a weekly or semi-weekly basis depending if I run the Jeep). I always check it for water/coolant or gas... recently I've found traces or gas... here is what I know...
My Carb isn't dumping fuel while the engine is off
She isn't running too rich, (The exhaust smells good and when I spray B12 over the carb she picks-up in rpms a little.. telling me she's not running rich)
I'm running about 9.5:1 compression and my spark plug gap is .038"? I was told by my father that I should be around .040" to .046" spark plug gap...
My top compression ring is gapped at .020" (Circle track spec) second compression ring is normal gap .012"? Or what-ever the normal is...
My father tells me to double check the timing and increase my spark by switching to MSD, Mallory, Jacobs, ProComp etc...
Any thoughts or Ideas...
Thanks!

jeepsr4ever
11-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Either a leaky fuel pump or a cylinder is washing down.

fifesjeep
11-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have an electric Fuel Pump... I can sort of see a cylinder being washed.. I did flood the engine but.. If that's the case... I hate to see what the bore or rings look like... I'll drop some oil in every cylinder and turn it over and then check my compression/bleed down and see what I get...
Hey, here's a good one for you guys..
My Buddy Just rebuilt his 1970 Pontiac Lemans 400... He dropped some coin into the motor had it bored .030" decided he didn't need to have it checked for cracks etc... well, we broke it in... during the break-in we noticed the temp was sitting kind of high... so we kept spraying the radiator and monitoring the temp. After the break-in we changed the oil and we left it sit for a day or two.. he "fine" tuned the carb... took it down the street and as he was pulling in the driveway.. I heard this horrible noise.... I seriously thought that something in or on the engine blew up... Man,... instantly I heard so many noises...:shock: As they, (the car and my buddy) slowly roll to the end of the driveway... I hear the constant draining noise that everybody fears... And the constant draining sounded healthy to say the least... We finally happened to pull it apart this week and to my surprise the head-gaskets were fine etc... We looked at the tops of the pistons... they were fine.. 1-7 MINT!!! I went to look at #8 and the further I leaned over to look into the cylinder I realized that I wasn't seeing anything but the Connecting Rod with a very minimal amount of piston attached... Instantly, I was impressed and amazed! :shock: :t: I stuck my hand in the cylinder feeling around and come to find out.... there's a verticle crack in the cylinder running 90% the length of the cylinder... the closer you get to the top or deck the more the crack sticks out into the bore... it's at-least .020" into the bore.... The cylinder actually looks good besides the crack :mrgreen: In his oil pan, it looks like a granade was set off... Very impressive!!! :lo1l: ... I'll get some pictures of the piston that Imploded... I think you all will be impressed as-well... (I sort of feel bad for the dude... but then again he likes going the cheap route or pinching pennies... and I told him that he gets what he pays for in this aspect) Sort of rubbing salt into the cut... :mrgreen: So now he's looking for a long block... I even told him before he used this block to have it checked for cracks seeing that this motor was used in a sand-rail for 3 years... The old man that he purchased it off from looked like he was up to no good.. :-| #-o

jeepsr4ever
11-21-2006, 10:19 PM
:shock: Thats really blows....

pics :mrgreen:

fifesjeep
11-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Man.. I need to transfer these pics to a place so I can download them..

dbesade
11-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Pictures don't work!

-Dave

runnamuck
11-23-2006, 04:48 PM
well atleast we know you use hotmail. :mrgreen:

try again please.

a440plus6
11-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Yup, pinch a penny ....spend a dime LOL.
Sounds like stuck float or missajusted float or to much fuel pressure imho.

ironman_gq
11-24-2006, 09:54 PM
the needles might be worn out on the floats and leaking under pressure.

a440plus6
11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
What kinda carb is it???

fifesjeep
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
It's an Edelbrock.... But Soon to be a Holley 750dp... (Once I get my Torker intake back).

I dumped some oil in the cylinders waited a few minutes turned her over... pushed my finger in the holes (one by one) and out squirted the oil... I fired her up and she seemed to run A LOT better... Smoked for a minute but that went away quickly... So, my next mini project is to up-grade the ignition system... for a hotter spark.

a440plus6
11-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Well edelbrocks are not known for leak down ....so that rules that out.

ironman_gq
11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
are you mashing the throttle often? this could cause a lot of unburned fuel to make its way into the oil.Everytime you mash it the accelerator pump gives the engine a big shot of gas and it might be giving it too much to burn.

fifesjeep
11-28-2006, 03:36 PM
This is what I think, With my rings being gapped that of circle track specs, a higher compression ration, low energy spark, and this carb dumping fuel is causing the unburnt gas to slip by... and washing the cylinders... hense gas in the oil.
I have an electric fuel pump... I also think that my carb is shooting excess fuel everytime I touch the pedal.. I mean this 600 shoots more than my 750 did.. I'm talking 2 solid streams... from the pump jet housing.. (Which were enlarged a little) :razz: and also fuel drips from secondary nozzle... So she's definitely getting fuel... :t: I've even turned the idle mixture screws...

ironman_gq
11-30-2006, 02:43 PM
i say you may have found the problem. dripping boosters and too big of an accelerator shot will definately cause your oil to fill up with gas.

fifesjeep
11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
i say you may have found the problem. dripping boosters and too big of an accelerator shot will definately cause your oil to fill up with gas.

It's not filling up the oil but when I taste the oil :razz: it has a little bite to it :t: 20w50 Racing oil isn't too bad :mrgreen:

Holeshot
12-01-2006, 10:37 AM
You said you had an electric pump but didn't say anything about a regulator, what about that???

ironman_gq
12-01-2006, 02:45 PM
not a fan of that motor oil salad dressing 111!!! in my experience it all tastes the same and it doesnt bring enough to the party.

Holeshot
12-01-2006, 05:08 PM
You really do need to get off the wallet & get an MSD sytem ASAP, AND a fuel pressure regulator, if you don't have one!!!

Bulltear Ad