PDA

View Full Version : Timing trouble with a 360

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

randyrussell13
12-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I recently put a rebuilt 360 with a edelbrock cam in my Wagoneer. It's also got edelbrock intake and carb, MSD ignition and distributer, and headman headers. This is my first rebuild and im having trouble getting the timing right. The stock calls for 12 BTC and the cam calls for about 10-14 more. It will crank up but runs really rough no matter where I twist the distributer. It doesn't seem to have a sweet spot. Also I can hear some tapping and can't seem to get it to go away. ??? Anybody got any ideas.

FuzzFace2
12-09-2006, 02:29 PM
If I got it right 12 BTDC plus 10 to 14 more as a starting point!!!!
That would be 20 to 24 BTDC, me knows this is to much. Who said 10 – 14 more for the cam?
I an thinking 10 to 12 BTDC to start and at about 2500 rpm have a total of 35-36 BTDC

As for the tapping noise it could be a header leak up where it bolts to the head, they some times sound like a bad lifter ticking. Take up on the bolts to see if it stops.
Dave ----

randyrussell13
12-10-2006, 12:40 AM
The paperwork that came with the cam said 10-14 more for best performance. You think this is to much?

FuzzFace2
12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes to much! I don’t think it would start as you would get kick back if you where to add 10-14 on top of the 10-12 the factory is set at.
I think they must of meant 10 – 14 from TDC.
That would be 10-14 BTDC and as said about 36 total @ 2500 RPM, then again you may want to up the rpm to say 3000 rpm.
Every motor is different on what it likes for timing but as a guide 10-12 BTDC @ idle and total of 36 BTDC in by 2500-3000rpm.

As for running ruff what is the cam spec, I don’t think it’s that big is it? You sure you lined the timing gear marks up right? Valves adjusted right? Intake sealed good to heads, no vacuum leaks and the same with the carb to intake. Maybe carb needs adjusting of the idle mixture screws and speed. Did you recheck firing order maybe you got some wires crossed?
Just some things to check
Dave ----

randyrussell13
12-11-2006, 11:58 PM
May have found my problem. Im using the stock timing chain and gears. Edelbrock says don't use the stock, use there set (part # 7818). They say the late model stock set is machined in a retarded position and is not recommended. Anyone used an edelbrock cam and had this problem?

runnamuck
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
not suprised edelbrock said use their stuff. i do agree with them about the retarded gear... emission standards really choked the amc.

FuzzFace2
12-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Edelbrock says don't use the stock, use there set (part # 7818).I can see why they say that too…..to sell more of their chain sets! :roll:
So how much can stock be off from straight up, I think not much. And what about the chain kits where you can advance/retard up to 4 deg IIRC.
So with that said even if stock is off 4 deg all this would do is raise or lower where the power band would be from straight up right guys?

So what do you have the timing set to at idle? What is idle rpm? What is total timing and at what rpm does it all come in by?
Dave ----

Goose
12-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Sounds to me like either plug wires out of order.. 1 tooth off on dist timing or maybe broke a rocker bridge and got one flopping around.. Start with the basics.. If it isnt smelling way rich and your sure the firing order is correct.. you already know that the tapping noise aint right.. pull that cover and check it out..usually in my experience it isnt the wierd stuff that gets you.. it's the simple things you overlook in your eagerness to hear it run.

Bulltear Ad