PDA

View Full Version : TBI compatible distributors

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

zero cool
12-09-2006, 11:25 PM
I know a lot of companies sell 1-wire HEI distributors for AMC engines. They use the 4 pin HEI module and a vacuum/mechanical advance. They work well for many.

However, there is an increasing number of people who are converting their engines to TBI and would like to use the electronic spark control offered by the computer. To do that, one needs either the 7 pin large cap or 8 pin small cap distributor that has no mechanical or vacuum advance. But there doesn't seem to be anything available out there.

I've been thinking about setting up a business on the side selling low cost TBI kits complete with everything including the distributor to run full spark control TBI on AMC V8's. But to do that I need to have a source for TBI compatible distributors.

What would it take to get a distributor like that?

Can someone modify the existing 4 pin HEI distributors for 7 pin use? Can someone source 7 (or 8 ) pin HEI distributors and modify them for AMC use in a reasonable volume for production? Am I just pissing in the wind?

runnamuck
12-10-2006, 10:11 AM
probably the esayest way would be to modify the base of a stock chebby tbi dizzy or machine a new base. heck, a msd dizzy and msd system would be easy to use, but there goes the low cost.

Bulltear Ad