PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump problem PLEASE HELP

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mwouda
12-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Guys I need some help with a 304 i have recently built. I am at wits end with this thing. I have a new timing case cover, Crown I believe, new oil pump, new bulltear 626 pump cover, new pickup tube with screen, and new oil pan. My problem is I cant register any pressure from the original sending unit location, I have a manual gauge on the auxilury side of the pump cover, but cant only get about 15 lbs of pressure. When I use a drill and pump primer, it takes quite a bit of power to turn the pump. I have tried everything. Also when I drain the oil it appears to be aerated, like it is cavatating or something. It seems like it is mixing with air somehow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeepsr4ever
12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
hmmm You may have to take and dorp the oil filter relocation brocket down lower than the 626 to get the air out. Was that cover one you bought from us?

mwouda
12-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Yes, I bought it form bulltear, but it did this before I tried the pump cover, hoping that it might solve this problem. But nothing has worked yet

73hornut
12-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Thicker gasket? Clearences might be too tight.

jeepsr4ever
12-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Are you sure you have the 626 plumbed right?

mwouda
12-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, pretty sure its plumbed correctly. I have 2 -10an hoses one to filter, one from filter. Both seen to be in correct location. I pulled the oil pan last night and measured distance for pickup and had about 1/2 inch clearance. I have noticed a gurguling noise from pickup tube in pan when pump is primed. Cant see anything wrong. Still working on it.

jeepsr4ever
12-21-2006, 11:00 AM
hmmm :-| Gasket blown out?

mwouda
12-21-2006, 11:04 AM
nope gasket still in one piece. Like I said it did this before I installed the 626. After installing the new pump cover and new gasket, same thing

jeepsr4ever
12-21-2006, 11:31 AM
I would replace the tube and check to see if you have any crud blocking the oil passage and/or if the oil pressure sending unit is screwed in too far.

mwouda
12-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Ive been reading alot of oil archives, and was wondering about this scenario. When I installed the pump cover 626, not knowing any better, I used silicone, and in typical fashion, I am sure I used alot, could this of screwed up the end play to much as to cause cavitation of the end of the pump gears????????????

jeepsr4ever
12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Uhm yes the oil pump gaskets always go in dry. I am sure this is one of the issues. Never add silicone to your oil pump gasket.

AMX69PHATTY
12-21-2006, 04:49 PM
one is supposed to pack the pump gears and cavity with vaseline though right ?

jeepsr4ever
12-21-2006, 04:54 PM
I never suggest it...it has to high of a viscosity to ever be a good way to prime an engine. It is and always has been a backyard method. 2 years ago Melling, sealed power and all other re-branded AMC oil pump gear sets changed their instructions from petrolium jelly to soaking in clear oil.

donwag
12-21-2006, 05:17 PM
I will attest that petroleum jelly is a poor way to prime an engine. Who knows what is going to stick in that stuff?

When it is still on the engine stand, fill the pump cavity with oil, fill the filter with oil, fill the pan up to level and prime.

Never had any problem using this method on AMC's or SBC. Usually instant oil pressure.

mwouda
12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Does anyone have the pics of the block cutaway for oil paths. I looked in the archives but thing the pics are to old. cant see them. I would be really interested in seeing these. Thnaks

mwouda
12-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Alright guys need your help again on this one. Still no oil pressure, but I pulled of the intake and noticed that the Y block in the front of the valley(the one that has the two open ports) are not plugged, they are open, and when I prime, oil just shoots out of them into the valley. I plugged these two holes and instantly had oil pressure. Which is a first for this motor. Is this correst?????????

donwag
12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Yes. Both openings should be plugged. You can see some pics of the lifter valley oil line install in thread "401 Build" under my user id and it will show the area you refer to with the plugs.

Bulltear Ad