PDA

View Full Version : CJ Front Dana 44 conversion

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JERSEYJOE
12-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I am about to install a Dana 44 in the front of my CJ 7. I am also doing a Spring Over Axle conversion. The right side has a cast in spring perch. Since I going to weld an offset perch on top, do I have to completely machine off the cast in perch or work around it?

tufcj
12-27-2006, 08:35 PM
The best bet is to use a housing from a Chevy or Dodge truck. They're already set up for SOA. I used a Dana 44HD from a 3/4 ton Chevy truck (1/2" wall tubes). To go to wide track Jeep width, I cut the short side about 4" to use a stock Wagoneer short axle shaft. The long side was cut about 10", and a custom axle shaft made. I did have to machine the spring pad about 8 degrees to get the pinion angle right. If you wanted to go Wagoneer width, you'd just need to match the two housings and use the wagoneer axle shafts, and outboard the springs to center the axle. I used CJ widetrack width and left the springs in the factory position.

You can go to internal hubs with the 5 on 5.5" lug pattern by using Wagoneer knuckles, calipers, and backing plates, 72-74 GM or 74-75 Wagoneer small journal spindles, and Ford F150 or Bronco rotors. If you want high steer, find flat top knuckles from a late 70s GM or Wagoneer. Ford spindles are about 3/8" shorter, and won't work with the Wagoneer/GM calipers.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad