PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CowboysWJ
12-29-2006, 06:08 PM
I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee WJ 4x4 that has a 4.0L in it. I was wondering what all your opinons are about swapping in a V8?

Also what would be a worthy swap for my WJ?

(Ok I am ready to be flamed for this question, please be nice. This is my first Jeep but not my first 4x4.)

tufcj
12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I just finished an engine swap in a 2000 WJ. We just swapped a 4.7 V-8 with a rod knock for another 4.7. It was the most God-aweful swap I ever did. The 4.7 is so wedged in there, there's no room to work anywhere. The entire front clip, except for fenders has to come off to get the engine out. I have no idea how they managed to wedge the 5.9 in some of them.

Since the 4.0 uses an AMC bolt pattern on the trans, and the 4.7 and 5.9 are Chrysler products, you'd need to swap trannies to install either of the factory V-8s.

If you wanted to go with an engine that would bolt to the existing trans, like an AMC 360 (which may be too wide to fit), you'd need custom fabricated mounts.

Then there are the OBD II emissions challenges, you'd need the entire wiring harness/computer to match whatever engine you install. An older carbed engine would have no chance of passing emissions, and would probably be illegal in most states.

If it were my choice, I'd just trade it in for a model that already has a factory V-8.

Bob
tufcj

CowboysWJ
12-29-2006, 06:35 PM
If I do the engine swap I will also be changing trannies. Trading it in is not a option, its paid off and I already have a $450 a month car payment on the wifes SUV.

tufcj
12-30-2006, 08:38 AM
It would probably be much easier to do a 4.6 or 4.7 I-6 stroker, and you'd get the same horsepower and more torque than a v-8.
I've seen rebuilt long block strokers on ebay for around $3000.

Take a look at Hesco. They do some neat hop-ups for the I-6.

http://jeepers.biz/

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of a V-8 if that's what you want. Just that you'll probably have way more than the cost of a stroker into a v-8 conversion, and a lot less headaches with a bolt in.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
12-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Take a look at Hesco. They do some neat hop-ups for the I-6.

http://jeepers.biz/

Bob
tufcj
Oh SURE, now you say something after I drop $4K plus into a 360 to put it in my CJ :(: and still need a tranny to support the HP #-o

I have 2 straight six's sitt'n here gathering rust (and one in the YJ makes 3) ... my be an option to slowly build one of thm for my next project .... :-| 111!!!

CowboysWJ
12-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Can someone tell me if I need to find another 2000 4.0L or can I use a older one to build a stroker for my 2000 Grand Cherokee?

In ordr for me to build a stroker I will need to build a spare motor so I still have a vehicle to drive.

CowboysWJ
12-30-2006, 08:18 PM
I was wondering if I could put a V8 out of a 96 or newer Grand Cherokee into my 2000 Grand Cherokee for a V8 swap?

tufcj
12-30-2006, 08:22 PM
The strokers are basically a 4.2 crank/rods in a 4.0 block. You should be able to use any year 4.0 block. I don't know if there were any differences in the casting over the years. Someone here should know, or try www.amcforums.com . They have a 6 cylinder discussion area.

Bob
tufcj

Dropkick_pride
02-18-2007, 07:42 PM
any of the 4.0s will work just fine. The differences were primarily in the heads and intake manifolds. JP magizine had a good article on this a few months back.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT buying another 4.0 thats about your year and build it on the side. Then you when you get it done, swap the engines, and keep your original.

Why do I say this? I have begin to hear more stories about the strokers eating themselves.

Mudrat
02-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Can someone tell me if I need to find another 2000 4.0L or can I use a older one to build a stroker for my 2000 Grand Cherokee?

In ordr for me to build a stroker I will need to build a spare motor so I still have a vehicle to drive.
Heya Cowboy, been awhile since I had time to see, or look at, all the posts. Ain't nuth'n wrong with an I-6, just that parts are more difficult to get. For the 4 banger, get one with the F/I set up ;-)

That not-with-standing, a good build job (balanced and polished) will give you a significant HP gain!!

Bulltear Ad