PDA

View Full Version : pasar un mal momento

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

etjeep
01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
and if you can't pronounce it, don't buy it. exceptionally small role in total calorie usage. weight. Unfortunately, levels of these hormones are basically "set" by our genetics; the only way
I'd get another brother!! Saw I missed a call from you today, didn't leave a message so I figured it wasn't important. Must have been 1st dibs, thanks!!! I CAN say that you can keep A LOT of bait
eDiets? mentor program helps both the mentor and the beginner being mentored. For one 54g (Dietary Fiber 6g); Protein 17g. The Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group (VNDPG) is a subgroup
imaged between the plates directly after and a specific host cell. Not only is the into MIIC compartments where MHC

Goose
01-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Welcome.. and there are some here who have the edel mpfi swap (and the heads..rich bastiges :roll: )

etjeep
01-25-2007, 10:47 PM
If this is a repost, my apologies, I must have done it wrong the first time. I must have messed up the part about posting images into the message.

I decided to hack, I mean customize, the brand new edelbrock wiring harness becasue I did not like the way the wires laid. Edelbrock did a fine job with the harness, it just does not lay well in my application. I have some more disassembly to do before I re-loom it. Here are a few pics in this link.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2509734830069564115dSvGbZ

I'll probly search here for good custome wiring examples before I start asking Qs.
Eric

coiler
01-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Looks good. I am planning efi on my 401 let me know the tricks and problems you encountered and also the ease of tuning along with performance gains thanks.

Dallas Lemon
01-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I am currently feeding my 401 with a Howell TBI. It has a 454 throttle body, but I believe there is more to be had out of this engine. I have been eyeing the Edelbrock MPFI as a possible update down the road a bit. What fuel pressure does it require?

Dusty
01-27-2007, 10:50 AM
40-50psi at 250 gph IIRC

With as strong as the engine ran with a 750 Edelbrock and with a 770 Holley TA and R4B and a Performer intake in the past I was less than thrilled with its performance with the Fuel injection. On long WOT runs the system occasionally started to loose power as though I was running out of fuel, especially when pulling a long grade with weight. It had great idlability but above 3500-4000 rpm the fuel starvation did irritate me. Granted I was running a .512 lift cam on a 274 adv dur with 226 @.050 on a 112 lobe separation on 10.2:1 compression ratio the engine held 15-16# vacuum at idle. I had several chips from edelbrock burned and still performance suffered at the higher rpms. I had a shop in Santa Rosa that deals with tuning Edelbrock fuel injection systems try their hands at it and even once it was dialed in never had the pull like it did with a 4BBL on top. So ultimately I have sold the Fuel injection with I still think is a good product and am going back to the Carb its cheaper, simpler and I can diagnose it easier. Personally after two years of battling it and throwing money at it, having the uni-light distributor burn out once and having edelbrock replace it, as well I had the O2 sensor go gunny bag and leaned out the system to the point on the first 200 mile road trip after fixing a flaw in the original machine work the engine that a few things in the engine paid the price (valves), I have opted to take the aluminum heads off, go back to cast iron heads for lower comp ratio.

Also Mileage wise I got .5 mpg difference between the Fuel injection and my 750 carb on a performer intake. I will say that when we tried the EFI out on a 360 we had no problems with fuel starvation and on a mild 401 with stock compression it ran pretty good as well I still think that with carbs those motors ran a little harder but the efi offered some very nice driving characteristics and idling over the rocks the EFI was unmatched. Side by side All said and done it seems like if you install it on a stock motor or RV camd motor your looking ok and for the money I think the howell TBI injection works just as well for less money. The Uni-light going out irked me especially since you cant even drop an HEI in and get home nor can you find a parts store on a Saturday to have the part in stock. (We ended up grabbing the HEI out of the cherokee, performer intake, intake gasket and a 600 that a friend had in his garage 40 miles away from the rubicon and a napa electric fuel pump swapping everything over in an afternoon on the trail and getting the thing off the trail after debating dragging it out.)

The edelbrock is a Very clean very nice setup don’t get me wrong, I did like the way it functioned. But there are several things like the distributor being a Mallory instead of an HEI, the ignition control module as well a few other things that I would have thought without them the kit would have been cheaper or at least a little simpler. Just my humble thoughts.

Im voting for a return to simplicity in my life
Dusty

etjeep
01-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Looks good. I am planning efi on my 401 let me know the tricks and problems you encountered and also the ease of tuning along with performance gains thanks.

I'll continue to post up my progress. Did not work on it this weekend, had to go strip some parts off another Wagoneer before it went to the junkyard. My buddy and I co-invested in a parts truck which he was storing at his place.

Cutting apart my edelbrock wiring harness did make me have a better appreciation for the bomb squad dudes, #-o cut this but not that...LOL. It appears to be a quality job they got all the wires grouped nice and tight!

etjeep
01-29-2007, 08:44 AM
40-50psi at 250 gph IIRC

With as strong as the engine ran with a 750 Edelbrock and with a 770 Holley TA and R4B and a Performer intake in the past I was less than thrilled with its performance with the Fuel injection. On long WOT runs the system occasionally started to loose power as though I was running out of fuel, especially when pulling a long grade with weight. It had great idlability but above 3500-4000 rpm the fuel starvation did irritate me. Granted I was running a .512 lift cam on a 274 adv dur with 226 @.050 on a 112 lobe separation on 10.2:1 compression ratio the engine held 15-16# vacuum at idle. I had several chips from edelbrock burned and still performance suffered at the higher rpms. I had a shop in Santa Rosa that deals with tuning Edelbrock fuel injection systems try their hands at it and even once it was dialed in never had the pull like it did with a 4BBL on top. So ultimately I have sold the Fuel injection with I still think is a good product and am going back to the Carb its cheaper, simpler and I can diagnose it easier. Personally after two years of battling it and throwing money at it, having the uni-light distributor burn out once and having edelbrock replace it, as well I had the O2 sensor go gunny bag and leaned out the system to the point on the first 200 mile road trip after fixing a flaw in the original machine work the engine that a few things in the engine paid the price (valves), I have opted to take the aluminum heads off, go back to cast iron heads for lower comp ratio.

Also Mileage wise I got .5 mpg difference between the Fuel injection and my 750 carb on a performer intake. I will say that when we tried the EFI out on a 360 we had no problems with fuel starvation and on a mild 401 with stock compression it ran pretty good as well I still think that with carbs those motors ran a little harder but the efi offered some very nice driving characteristics and idling over the rocks the EFI was unmatched. Side by side All said and done it seems like if you install it on a stock motor or RV camd motor your looking ok and for the money I think the howell TBI injection works just as well for less money. The Uni-light going out irked me especially since you cant even drop an HEI in and get home nor can you find a parts store on a Saturday to have the part in stock. (We ended up grabbing the HEI out of the cherokee, performer intake, intake gasket and a 600 that a friend had in his garage 40 miles away from the rubicon and a napa electric fuel pump swapping everything over in an afternoon on the trail and getting the thing off the trail after debating dragging it out.)

The edelbrock is a Very clean very nice setup don’t get me wrong, I did like the way it functioned. But there are several things like the distributor being a Mallory instead of an HEI, the ignition control module as well a few other things that I would have thought without them the kit would have been cheaper or at least a little simpler. Just my humble thoughts.

Im voting for a return to simplicity in my life
Dusty

Dusty,
Sounds like your just the guy I need to talk to since you already bought your education (and then some it appears) on these systems.

You're right the fuel pump puts out 50 psi at 250gph.

My plan is to use this on a stock compression motor (for now) for off-road use. I agree, if I just wanted to squirt a bunch of gas in I would have just went with a TBI, but everyone was doing it so I went the other direction. You have already found some of the limitations apparently and I am hoping for a lot less R&D on mine. I may have to pick your brain when I get to a point that has me baffled. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Also, I was thinking the Mallory hall effect dizzy was the next best thing to (the ultimate) a CPS (for a kit on these AMCs anyway making it easier to retrofit). My thinking was the no moving parts would be a benefit for offraod. At least thats what I think today.

Another thing I like is EB came out with a list of various components that can be replaced with GM or Ford components which are easily sourced from a local parts store, like the ECU (GM), MAP (GM), MAT(GM), CTS(GM), fuel press reg(GM) and IAC solenoid (Ford). I bought an MSD TFI coil (Ford) separately. This is typical AMC anyway, just makes me feel better I can find the wear parts easily.

Dusty
01-29-2007, 09:29 AM
eric. you are correct. many of the parts are interchangable and easily had. i have to say the fully elctronic distributor and everything was a neat concept just not for me. i know i can diagnose a carb hei issue on the trail. the Fuel injection when its working is hands down a great setup but this way i can carry a few spare hei parts to rebuild it on the trail if needed and that keeps my costs down. feel free to hollar at me i dont know how much i have to offer. yes i did pay for an education but dont know if it did me much good since now im going backwards. LOL

luxi401
01-30-2007, 02:49 AM
I have seen a picture somewhere on the net showing that the flashy Edelbrock ignition module housing that comes with the MPFI contains a simple GM HEI module, so it should be possible to move to a HEI dizzy.

82Waggy
02-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Dusty, Did you ever check the injectors for proper function, or try larger ones?

Had a problem recently on an injected motor in a twin powered boat - 6 out of 8 injectors were bad. 1 would not fire at all, 4 would just dribble fuel, and none of the others made a good spray pattern. They were all pulled and tested. Was able to bring some back to life after ultrasonic cleaning and replaced the rest with new. One of the new ones turned out to be completely non-functional as well (these were Weber injectors). Finally got it all sorted out. Prior to testing and replacement it still ran but fell short of peak - gained 900 RPM after all were fixed. The other engine that was thought to be OK then fell short of this one by 250 RPM - one new injector and cleaning of the rest brought it up as well. Completely different boat now - went from a usual 61 MPH max speed to 70MPH before bouncing off the rev limiter, which it never reached before.

Seems unlikely that you would not be able get the EB system to flow all the fuel you would need. Unfortunately I have not run mine yet so I can't really comment on it - sometime this spring I hope.

etjeep
02-02-2007, 11:58 AM
82waggy,
Good point. How did you "test" the injectors?

FWIW, EB sent me a test checksheet with various parameters that "indicates" they did a test at the factory. I'm curious now, I'll have to dig it out and see what it says and what they tested. I guess I tossed it asside initially and directed my focus towards all the shiny parts. LOL.

82Waggy
02-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Shop nearby has a diagnostics machine that pressures up the injectors, cycles them, measures throughput, etc. Visually check spray pattern during testing - it's pretty obvious.

Dusty
02-02-2007, 05:50 PM
i sent the intake and parts back to edelbrock they checked the injectors and assembly everything checked out ok. i think it was somewhere between me not getting it programmed ... dialed in and some sort of defuel in the mapping. but it isnt my thing im going back to a carb. i wasnt drving the heep enough to justify the bucks tied up in a fancy setup either

etjeep
02-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok thanks. I guess I was wondering if it was something I could do easily.....I have no need right now to do any testing though.

Bulltear Ad