PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

etjeep
01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi, my name is Eric. I am a newbie to this site and just posted and intro and some info on my 401 engine build in the Engines forum. I also did the engine oiling improvements, but I have a similar related question. Anyone running an oil cooler? If you were installing a temp sender, would you monitor the "hot" oil to the cooler or the cooled oil returning. I chose the latter because it was a cleaner installation with less fittings, etc. Is this a screw-up?

The motor is an AMC 401. Here is the temp guage I am using http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1466...69564115zBiBFs
Thanks for any input.

The geek in me wants the capability to monitor every conceivable parameter on my motor, but in this case a cleaner installation has more appeal. In my case, I have a sandwhich at the filter, so the oil flows from the pump through the sandwhich, diverting flow to the cooler. Return from the cooler goes back into the sandwhich, through the filter, then back into the pan. I believe this is fairly typical.

Also, not that it matters, but the sandwhich is thermostatically controlled, so the flow is diverted to the cooler when the temp exceeds 180 or 190 for faster heat up IIRC.

I had to change to a standard spin on oil filter instead of the premium (taller) filter, theres about an inch difference and the sandwhich took away some of my clearance for the filter.

You know this all started when I was going to install the "oil cooler" heat exchanger I picked up at a yard sale as a PS cooler. When I opened the box, the sandwhich was the right size and it had all the lines and fittings. I used 1/2" Al tubing from the sandwhich out just to keep it neat.

BTW I picked up a nice little tubing bender for $3 at Northern. My little bender would not do 1/2" w/o crimping. Worked like a charm.

Here are a few pics of the install so far.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/556534971OdxrYj

I added the cooler to my 401 because
1. I already had the stuff.
2. adding Edelbrock MPFI and no EGR means hotter combustion temps
3. 180K motor (rebuilt by PO at 120), no sense pushing it.

Here are my pics for the oiling improvement for the AMC to the rear bearing and timing chain, which may add some life (time will tell). http://rides.webshots.com/album/4658...jdxjx?start=60 (sheet 6 in Oiling Improvements).

Thanks for any input.

Eric Terjesen
Cary, NC
1978 Jeep Wagoneer w/ 401

PaintedRat
01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
I like the photos, that engine is looking sweet.

etjeep
01-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks man, its shiny (for now).

If you can get to my main album, I have more pics. May have to dig around. I just saw one of my linky no work that I just posted.

etjeep
01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Got all my coolers installed last night. I added the oil cooler in addition to the tranny cooler and power steering (just another smaller tranny cooler). Here are a few shots in my album:
http://community.webshots.com/album/556534971OdxrYj

I had to rework a few things so I could get some clearance around my alternator. The hoses tuck up nice under the battery tray. I sleeved everything going through the body.

Enjoy...

Eric

Goose
01-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Just have to tell you .. Clean project.. sanitary work.. thats what separates the good from the could have been.. :sa:

etjeep
01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Goose,
Thanks. Its relatively clean for now. It will not stay that way forever. LOL. I do like it clean and bright though!

Blown7
01-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Also, not that it matters, but the sandwhich is thermostatically controlled, so the flow is diverted to the cooler when the temp exceeds 180 or 190 for faster heat up

[b]Huh?

So does all the oil get filtered? Or bypassed if the cooler is in "cool" mode?
Plus i'd change the hard line to hose for vibration.

Jeff

jeepsr4ever
01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes you can incorporate a thermostat switch to divert oil. I think you have the right idea I just hope your using a updated oil filter adaptor without the bypass

etjeep
01-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Also, not that it matters, but the sandwhich is thermostatically controlled, so the flow is diverted to the cooler when the temp exceeds 180 or 190 for faster heat up

[b]Huh?

So does all the oil get filtered? Or bypassed if the cooler is in "cool" mode?
Plus i'd change the hard line to hose for vibration.

Jeff

Jeff,
My bad on the description. Sorry for the confusion. It appears part of the flow just short circuits the cooler if the oil is "cold" through a port in the sandwhich. The port is opened by a bi-metalic spring mechanism, which looks kinda cheap actually (sorry, no pic).

I transitioned to hoses prior to passing through the body to the cooler and again on the return from the cooler (hoses to hard line). I did this primarily for the anticipated movement to prevent damage to the lines. There are other hard line-to-hose fit-ups on the Jeep such as the fuel and transmission cooler from the factory.......I am just saying you are right, vibration is always a concern, having one less connection for possible leaks makes sense. Of course, I don't have a rocket like you do!

etjeep
01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes you can incorporate a thermostat switch to divert oil. I think you have the right idea I just hope your using a updated oil filter adaptor without the bypass

MC,
You have a point there, that I did not even really think about that much. The lines to and from the cooler are 1/2" as well as the cooler ID itself to minimize pressure drop. But, there is a pressure drop before the oil sees the galley. I have the sandwhich mounted to the stock timing cover/oil pump housing, so I would imagine it has the filter bypass. I have to think about this some more..... Maybe I just need to see what my oil pressure looks like when I fire it up, then go from there.

Does a flow vs. head curve exist for the gear pumps?

Bulltear Ad