PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Gaskets

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

onestophop
01-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I can't seem to keep a good seal from the header to the head with the felpro parts store exhaust gaskets. Anyone tried remflex gaskets or another type?

ironman_gq
01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
how thick are your header flanges. thin flanges will warp and make it very difficult to keep the gaskets from leaking. I would try to get the thickest gaskets you can and spray them with copper coat gasket adhesive. I have heddman headers and use the gaskets they gave me with the copper coat and haven't had a problem yet.

tufcj
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
The factory manifold gaskets just won't work well with headers. I've never had any luck with the Mr. Gasket ones you find at most parts stores either.

I've ordered a couple of sets direct from Hooker. They do need the holes enlarged a bit if you've done any porting, but they do seal well. I also got some good ones from a company called Harbor Industries, although I don't know if they're in business anymore.

I did find this on the web:

Harbor Industries
13025-T Halldale Ave.
Gardena, CA 90249
Phone: 310-327-8491
Fax: 310-555-1355

I soak the exhaust gaskets (composite ones) in water overnight before installation, tighten, start the car and run till they stop steaming. Let it cool completely and tighten again. Drive it for a while, cool, and tighten one more time. Mine have stayed tight and sealed for over a year now.

Bob
tufcj

onestophop
01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
They are headman aluma coat headers. Tufcj, do you have the ones from Harbor installed now? I'm calling them now.

tufcj
01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I have the Hooker gaskets on my AMX right now. I ran the Harbor ones on my CJ without any leak problems until the smog police made me go back to factory manifolds. They wouldn't pass me without the AIR rails and smog pump in place, even though with the EFI (which they didn't care about) it blew great numbers.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad