PDA

View Full Version : GAs Tanks?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
01-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm looking @ the Aero tanks for the CJ8 & they offer a tank for the Jeep, see below.

'81-'85 Jeep Scrambler
Uses Factory Fill
Tank & all parts included
33 Gallon Replacement model 1921A
Cost $389.00
Skid plate $69.00
Shipping $140.00
Total----=OMGosh

I looked @ tanks that are 25 gal for about the same price, maybe a hundred bucks less but still close to this one in price.

Does anyone know of a after market tank of @ least 25 gal that won't dent my wallet to bad?

Does anyone make two 15 gal tanks that will fit under the CJ8 like saddle bags, one on each side of the DS? IS there even enough room?

Thanks,
Rollbar

tufcj
01-18-2007, 08:15 AM
I had an Aero tank in my CJ. It hung way too low, and I was always banging it on rocks. I also had a hard time keeping the electric fuel pump o-ring sealed, the lock ring just wasn't a great design, IMO.

I pulled the Aero, and went to a TrailQuest tank ( http://www.trailquest.com/tanks.shtml ). Since I have a 1" body lift, I requested that they lower the mounts 1" on my tank, so it sits 1" higher. Since I have Howell EFI, they also built it to accept a factory GM fuel pump. It's baffled, and has a really beefy skid welded on. It is heavy though, it weighs over 70 LBS empty.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Cool, so U got the 23gal tank. :t:

I am also adding a 1"BL w/a mechanical fuel pump, from your remarks I can just call them & tell them I'm adding a Bl & they will hook me up, correct.

Did U have to buy anything else to install it or just put it in & go?
DId U use the old sender or do they offer a new one?

Thanks
Jim

tufcj
01-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Just took a phone call to order and change the mount position. The sender was Jeep, but not a CJ since the tank is deeper. The fuel pump was a GM application. I bought both new thru Trailquest, I think it only added a little over $100 to the cost of the tank.

When it arrived, I just installed the pump and sender, and bolted it in, and connected the fuel lines and fill hoses.

I have 1" longer than stock shackles in the rear, and the bottom of the tank is about even with the bottom of the shackle. With the 45 degree taper on the back end of the tank, I've only smacked it on anything once that I can remember. No dent, just scraped some paint off the skid.

Bob
tufcj

rollbar
01-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Excellent, I'll ask them to relocate the mounts 1" lower from the top since i will also use a 1"BL.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Dusty
01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
My first trail quest tank hung really low. we had to cut the mounts off and re weld then even with a stock body mount to get it up there. the second one we recieved it and everything worked fine BUT on both the first and the second we noticed they build the tank square at the top and if you cut 2.5x 2.5" out of the top at the cross member and then flip that piece over and gas weld it back in place the tank clears the cross member and sits 1.5"- 2" higher. my tank is now 22 gallons and sits no lower than the stock 15 gallon tank and skidplate. 7.5" below the frame. Food for thought.

On the third tank we ordered without the mounts welded on and did the tank mods ourselves. notched it .... optional and oriented it the way we saw fit since most of thier brackets didnt line up exactly anyways and required drilling.

rollbar
01-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks Dusty :t:

Renegade360
02-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Just installed a trailquest tank. Lowering the body mounts on a CJ7 would require cutting out a section of the s shaped cross member as it sits underneath this.

In stock location, the bottom of the tank is about the same level as the axle housing. I used the stock 15 gallon sending unit with the pickup extension. I straitened out the float arm so it sits deeper. It should still leave me with at about 5 gallons or so of reserve after I hit empty. That should get me 40-50 miles to the next gas station before I'm hoofing it.

Dusty
02-02-2007, 11:50 PM
exactly that crossmember instead of cutting it out, modifying the tank is the trick

Bulltear Ad