PDA

View Full Version : head gasket 304 with 360 heads

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

cj5.5
01-18-2007, 08:43 PM
I am in the middle of a rebuilding a 304 out my cj5. I have lots of questions about the machine work po did. First what head gasket would you put on this motor. There was no head gasket before maybe homemade but not your regular gasket. Next is I can not tell if the block is supposed to have small non casting marks (notches)to clearence the rods at the crank. And last the cylinders have a 1/4 brass ring or some other metal ring at top where your ridge ring carbon would be. Does this sound like the po built up a nice hp engine. I guess the machine shop may be able to tell me more tomorrow as it goes in for minor work. Thanks DD

ironman_gq
01-19-2007, 08:16 AM
have the cylinders been notched to clear the valves of the 360 heads. someone might have had the top of the cylinder machined wider and then put the brass ring in to fill the gap where they didn't need clearance. For head gaskets I would just get a normal AMC head gasket they should all interchange between motors. just make sure the valves won't be shrouded and the chambers line up with the cylinders properly.

AMX69PHATTY
01-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Pretty sure the 304 Head Gaskets are different than those for all other AMC engines.
For 304's the piston holes are smaller, maybe not even round.
The ones from a '76 304 I tore apart don't apear to be round.
If using 360 heads, guess you'll need 360 head gaskets
and as stated the block deck notched for valves clearance.
Fel-Pro, Detroit, and ROL all offer head gsakets.
Each one is of a different construction and materials I believe.

cj5.5
01-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Machine shop had bad news. 304 was bored out .060 over and was worn beyond that. :smile: So now I am tracking down a 360 block. :!: Wife is mad but who would of known before I started this project.

dbesade
01-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Machine shop had bad news. 304 was bored out .060 over and was worn beyond that. :smile: So now I am tracking down a 360 block. :!: Wife is mad but who would of known before I started this project.

So? Most 304 Blocks can go beyond .060 over. Have them sonic check the walls and see how much ya got left...

-Dave

Bulltear Ad