PDA

View Full Version : Daimler-Chrysler at it again

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

tufcj
01-24-2007, 10:11 AM
I got this from another board. No doubt many of you have seen it, but maybe some haven't.

Our friends at Daimler/Chrysler licensensing are once again visiting AMC parts venders sites trying to enforce their trademark fees. Remember, D/C got the all the AMC names and trademarks when they bought AMC and they intend to actively persue fees for using their images.
I had no idea there was such a booming business in AMC logo parts that the small businesses doing it make enough to offset any fees D/C wants. I think its more likely those businesses will just stop selling those parts.
What this means to us is the logo parts that we need to restore our AMC cars are either going to get substantially higher in cost or not be available at all. Is the guy making SC/Rambler emblems in his garage going to be able to apply for, get and then pay for the license to make less than a few hundred dollars worth of total sales a year? I suggest getting all the "American Motors" image stuff, like center cap decals, you need now while they are still available.
I guess I would be less upset if I thought Daimler/Chrysler cared anything about the AMC hobbists other than viewing us as a potential revenue source.

This is why I wouldn't buy ANY currently available D-C product. What AMC parts do they make/carry at a dealership anymore? Maybe a few gaskets, dip stick tubes (and these are aftermarket), and some leftovers that nobody has needed? All are WAY overpriced.

BUT - They still want us to pay for use of a logo that hasn't been put on a production vehicle in over 20 years now.

Bob
tufcj

dbesade
01-24-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute. Lets suppose that DC starts making parts for our beloved AMC's again.. things like Jeep tailgates, windshield frames, Center Cap decals, and offers a full range of replacement parts.

Now that would be great right? I think so, it will never happen but if it did, people would likely complain about the price that DC would charge.. yeah it would be high but thats the cost for "official" resto parts.

DC is simply trying to get the money they feel they are due by using a trademark and logo that is legally theirs no matter how much we all hate that fact. There is a chance that this could spur a movement within DC to start looking into offering offical resto parts for some of our stuff.

-Dave

tufcj
01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
A part that was considered OE for a restoration would probably be worth the price they would charge, as long as the quality was there. BUT - we all know that isn't going to happen.

Now, let's say D/C buys even a few hundred of the parts from the little guy they just squeezed (at a fair price) and puts them on the shelf of dealers across the nation. Might make it worth while for both. Is that going to happen - I doubt that either.

Bob
tufcj

BREK
01-24-2007, 04:10 PM
I agree with Dave. Also I can't say it will do any good, but I can try and talk with our district manager (employed with DC, not our dealership) and see if I can't get chrysler to atleast look into repoing some parts.

ol' school power
01-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree with Dave. Also I can't say it will do any good, but I can try and talk with our district manager (employed with DC, not our dealership) and see if I can't get chrysler to atleast look into repoing some parts.

Chrysler obsoletes parts as fast as they can for vehicles produced in the last 5 years, why would they be interested in re-popping for us?
Keeping an old car running doesn't do anything for the factory that produces new.

BREK
01-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Actually DC is getting into making restoration parts for old mopar's, check your local dealer theres a whole catalog devoted to resto parts. They have to do something to keep up with the pace GM is setting.

BREK
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Just got the january/febuary mopar mag at the dealership, and they have a tech & general service questions section maybe someone can write or fax to see if they may be interested in repoping parts for us. Here's the contact info.

Tech q&a, mopar magazine,p.o. box 2117, Farmington Hills,Mi 48333-9907 or fax (248)553-2138, or e-mail to tech-q&a@moparmagazine.com

dbesade
02-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Actually DC is getting into making restoration parts for old mopar's

In some eyes... the old AMC's could be considered (legally) a mopar vehicle.. even if its not technically correct.. but I still see this as a step in the correct direction.. I was reading a mopar magazine at work and they mentioned a 69 Javalin and called it as a Mopar... oddly enough...

-Dave

73hornut
02-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Actually DC is getting into making restoration parts for old mopar's

In some eyes... the old AMC's could be considered (legally) a mopar vehicle.. even if its not technically correct.. but I still see this as a step in the correct direction.. I was reading a mopar magazine at work and they mentioned a 69 Javalin and called it as a Mopar... oddly enough...

-Dave
Kind of like when nextel took over nascar, All the previous(prior) races became nextel cup races also, instead of winston cup.

Bulltear Ad