PDA

View Full Version : Valley pan

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mwouda
01-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey guys. I have an '78 304 in my CJ7. I have to pull the intake once again and I am wondering about the Valley Pan. I really dont like it. Can I just use the gasket set from the E store, or is there something I dont know about that requires this type of Seal. I have also heard that it keeps hot oil off the bottom of the intake. but is it worth it. Thanks in advance

dwg86
01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
The valley pan keeps the PCV valve from sucking oil. It will suck all the oil from the pan. I know this from experience.

tufcj
01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
If your manifold (either stock or aftermarket) has the tin baffle on the bottom, you MIGHT be able to get away without the valley pan. Some will draw oil even with the baffle if there's a lot of blowby at the rings. If there's no baffle on the bottom of the manifold it will suck oil thru the PCV like dwg86 said.

Bob
tufcj

mwouda
01-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys, guess im stuck with it. My intake is Edel. perfomer with no baffle. How is it, some use them and some dont. Or am I mistaken.

tufcj
01-29-2007, 06:12 PM
The problem there is that most people don't read the directions. They just pull the manifold out of the box and slap it on. The performer has holes in it to attach the baffle, and the directions tell you to remove the baffle from the stock manifold. They even include rivets if you buy a new manifold.

Of course, it's riveted to the stock manifold, so you have to chisel or grind it off, and you can't go back. I found a couple of extras on 2BBL AMC manifolds just laying on the ground in junkyards from when people pull heads.

Bob
tufcj

dwg86
01-30-2007, 11:57 AM
I removed the pcv valve fron the intake and machined a plug. I put the pcv valve in the valve cover between the 2 and 4 cylinder rocker arms with a baffled pvc grommet from Moroso. No more problems.

Bulltear Ad