PDA

View Full Version : Does every Jeep do this??

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Goose
02-06-2007, 10:59 AM
OK, I admit I am a bit slow.. but while filling the 2000 TJ the other day, the gas pump kept shutting off and I was going through my vast repertoire of bad words.. I looked over and here was another guy with a wrangler doing the same deal.. It never occurred to me that they all might do this? I thought I might have a plugged vent line.. My Cj does it too.. you can only put gas in at a trickle or it backs up in the neck and shuts it off.

WTF??

fuzz401
02-06-2007, 11:12 AM
on my 78 I use to have to turn the nozzel side ways to work for me

zero cool
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
My 77 Cherokee has a problem like that.

My CJ doesn't have that problem now but it has a fuel cell in the back instead of the stock gas tank.

PaintedRat
02-06-2007, 12:38 PM
I've never had that on my CJ. Filler neck is close to 2", with the smaller vent hose blocked.

Penguin
02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
All my jeeps would do it if the tank got to low. Had to run the hose a half fill to keep it from shutting off.
Also try not putting the hose all the way in.

Texas Tigger
05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Goose......... dont that crap piss you off... My old CJ5 does the same thing, and more so now with these new envirmental pump nozzles. BUT, I have learned if I turn the nozzle upside down it works just fine. Everybody at the station may think I'm alittle off, but they are usually staring at me anyway... My ole CJs set up farly good and has alot of battle scares, and not to metion is painted like a Tiger with Tigger off Winny the pooh on the hood.......... (Texas Tigger) ha ha ....... Corny I know, But my little girl (Daddys little girl)came up with the idea.

Goose
05-25-2007, 12:45 PM
yea it's aggravating..
And I Understand the "daddy's little girls thing"

dbesade
05-26-2007, 06:54 AM
on my 78 I use to have to turn the nozzel side ways to work for me
Ditto on my 76

-Dave

tufcj
05-26-2007, 05:06 PM
With the factory filler the pump handle had to be sideways or upside down.

I changed mine to a YJ restrictor with TJ plastic trim (on a CJ) when I did the TJ flares, and now it works normally. Go figure.

Bob
tufcj

jnewst
03-31-2008, 09:49 AM
I have only found 1 gas station that I could click the handle.

Nunu
02-07-2011, 03:48 AM
its very well i may be wrong .. going from memory from past building days. but as i remember it, if you have an 18 floor joist, you cant cant. it more than 6. but as i write this ,... it does seem wrong, doesnt it?

jeepsr4ever
02-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Two things will do this. One is the pressure of the pump handle set by a little tension spring. The other is the vent on the tank. Some fill hose angles can cause pressure to build up at the nozzle tip but not in a TJ...most likely a plugged vent. That is if the TJ doesnt use the cap as a vent.

ironman_gq
02-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Pretty common. I just hold the nozzle back a little and dont try to use the cruise control

Bulltear Ad